3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot connect to linked tables on server (Access 2000)

Everything works OK until I try to compact and repair the backend (the tables) and then try to connect to those tables again with the frontend
    The error states that I don't have permission to view the table or the it is open in exclusive mode. Niether which is true. When I go back to the backup (renaming it of course to the proper name) everything works fine.

Ideas?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cannot connect to linked tables on server (Access 2000)

<hr>...then try to connect to those tables again with the frontend<hr>
    How are you trying to connect? Are you using the Linked Table Manager or doing something in code?
    Also how are you compacting the back-end - from the front-end, or are you doing it via the user interface? If the latter, do you compact with the back-end open, or do you compact with no database open?
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I compact the backend from the computer that the backend is on. I have tried both with the backend open and with it closed. It does not connect when I first open the front end.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you compact with the database open, it will create a new database, compact into the new database, delete the old database, and then rename the newly compacted database to have the same name as the original database. At that point you should be able to simply open the front-end and see the tables. It sounds as if the lock file isn't being dropped after the compact. BTW, you should be able to do the compact from a PC with the front-end on it - it may not be quite as fast as it has to work across the LAN, but it should work.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have renamed the new compacted file the same as the old one. I still get that error though.

I am doing it from the server right now, becuase it is easier, Eventually I will have it compact itself on a nightly basis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It looks as if the lock file is not being closed on the server after the compact and repair. You can check for the existance of the lock file by looking in the same directory for a file with the same name and extension of .ldb, i.e. <font color=blue><font face="Georgia">GaposPOSFilesdbPOS_be.ldb</font color=blue></font face=georgia>
    I don't believe you are dealing with a permissions issue unless you have activated user security, and even then the compact process should preserve the permissions. In your case, I would set the file to compact on close if you are concerned about possible corruption. You will of course also want some sort of back-up arrangment, and you may want to back it up more frequently than once a day if you have a significant number of transactions per day.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Show us the code you're using to do the compact and rename. We do this all the time in our applications using DAO and it is very simple, but the user would need permissions on the new file created on the server by the compact. Has the system administrator set the permissions appropriately on the server folder?
    Also If you're using ADO in there anywhere, it becomes more complicated because you have to drop the ADO connection before you can use the built-in compact.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is no lock on the file at all. What is wierd is that if I try to open the backend from a client, it get an error as well. As for backing up, do I have to make sure all users are offline?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What sort of server are you using? If it is running WinNT, Win2000 or WinXP you may have a file permissions issue on new files. The fact that you cannot open it from a client suggests that may be the case. No, you don't have to kick all users out to copy the back-end, but lots of backup software will skip the file if it is open, so you need to check out how your choice of backup software behaves in that respect. I also recall seeing a periodic and regular backup process done from Access that was available for download, but I don't recall the location.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

the server is XP Pro. Currentlu,everyone has permission to the foler that the backend db resides in. For backup up, do you have to do a full backup everytime or can you do incremental backups as well?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure that new files in that folder inherit the permissions of the folder? That can trip you up. As to backups, an incremental doesn't save you anything because Access databases are generally a single file, and the minute it is opened, the archive bit gets set. (Most backup software that does incremental backups works on that bit.)
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would think they would, since they have access to everything in that folder. Even if I reboot the server and the clients and try again, the clients cannot get access to that new file. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Ideas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

They need more than read/write access to the folder. They also need create and delete rights so that the lock file can be created and deleted.
    Charlotte