Thread: icon puzzle

Lounger
    Thanks

icon puzzle

Here's a strange ?memory? glitch. Every now and then, my desktop shortcut icons are overwritten -- not the whole icon, just the part at the bottom left (the bent arrow) that indicates shortcut. It's usually overwritten in white, but sometimes in different colors. If I reboot, everything is fine. If I don't reboot, the computer otherwise still works, except for the funny look of the shortcuts.

My resource problem, which I recently solved by cutting back on autostart programs, is not related to the shortcuts, at least not in a way that's obvious to me.
    Any ideas?
    thanks Al

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: icon puzzle

Probably need to clear your Icon Cache and also increase its size. May not need both, but...

I don't have the info in front of me right now. I'll get it when I get home -- if no one else can help.
    -----------------------

Add:

The registry key is here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/49243.html">HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWin dowsCurrentVersionExplorer
    Max Cached Icons=</A>

And the file you want to delete on reboot is called "ShellIconCache".

The former increases the size of the IconCache and the latter cleans it up so you start anew. A complicated procedure to set the the Max Cache Icons setting is here.