bzych

Outlook and Exchange

I assist a small, not-for-profit administrative office & they want to use Outlook 2000 for personal & group scheduling & email management. The technical support vendor tells us this is not possible without utilizing an Exchange Server. Woody speaks pretty highly of Outlook & I tend to have resonance with his recommendations, but recall no mention from Woody that Exchange is a prerequisite to effectively using Outlook. We followed the

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook and Exchange

with exchange you can really use the power of outlook, but it's overkill for 3 people.

you'll do just fine with outlook and no exchange server.

what problems is your tech person running into?

bzych

Thanks for your reply. I think you already confirmed my concern that the tech does not understand Outlook, or we are experiencing a major "failure to communicate". The way Oulook in no configured, Outlook comes up but all email messages fail to send.

We are told...
    "Outlook 2000 provides little benefit without Exchange".
    "group calendaring and scheduling require Exchange".
    an administrator and assistant cannot coordinate calendars in Outlook without Exchange.
    He will research another program to do group scheduling without Exchange.
    "This functionality was in earlier versions of Outlook but not Outlook 2000".
    "Just use Outlook Express".

None of these point jive with my understanding from Woody's book.

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

for sharing, exchange is better without doubt, but that's not to say you can't do it without exchange. exchange offers a lot more features but really is not suited for a small office with 3 users.

for group calendaring without exchange you need to use netfolders. i'd recommend using corp mode of outlook and the ms mail po. this gives you lan email too, without needing to use the internet conection. don't think about upgrading to office XP though, it doesn't support net folders or wgpo.

he may be talking about scedule+ when he says it was in an earlier version and removed. his facts are wrong though, it was never in outlook but was part of the old exchange client (or the os). you can use it still if you have a copy, but it doesn't integrate with outlook.

check out the calendar pages at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.slipstick.com>http://www.slipstick.com</A>

Thanks

> Outlook comes up but all email messages fail to send.

Are you trying send mail outside the organization? There is a discussion of alternative (non-Exchange) mail servers <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xserv&Number=24556>here</A>.