3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

security updates (XP Home)

I have XP home (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600) and want to figure out which of MS's patches are recommended to install. I'm concerned about security but Woody has warned over & over again about (most?) of the patches. Which ones should I install? Any of them?

Also, it would be a great enhancement to have a button on this web site to push and find out which patches are recommended.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: security updates (XP Home)

Randy--

I'm including threads that hit your question thoroughly with links to many of the newsletters and also touch on the Windows Update tool because this comes up almost weekly. Your question "any of them" shows how far the negativity generated over a few problem hotfixes has permeated. By all means you should install nearly all of them., unless you have waited and seen overwhelmingly there's a significant problem with one--otherwise put them in. These are plugs for important security vulnerabilities. Microsoft writes the most code, they are going to be targets of the best and brightest and most sophisticated hackers white hat and black. I use the security site newsletter to get them all since I like it better than Windows Update for this. This is covered in the threads.

If there's a problem, it's coming up on the lounge fast--in XP, Windows, IE. I could have found threads IE, OE, Software, but I got enough. Rememer, for a number of reasons, Microsoft knows about some of them for a while before releasing patches, so odds are huge you could adopt a "wait and see posture" for a couple weeks. None of them are uninstallable. And remember, even the loud voice that's been given to the problem patches aren't statistically most of the people who installed it. If you can narrow a patch froze, crashed or slowed you--of course you're ticked. But it's not irreversible and easy to find out about. In these links, we have put several of the best places including Woody's newsletters and a number of security newsletters and Microsoft watch letters to monitor for critiques of the patches:

XP Home and patches/fixes/updates
    Removing Windows Hotfix Q81493
    Re: XP Home and Patches/updates Hotfixes I
    Which Security Updates
    Should We?? 814955 fix for 328310
    Updating Yes or No XP Pro
    Update Slowdown
    Heads Up Win Update 818043
    New Patches Released
    Very Slow Response Windows XP Home
    Critical Updates XP Pro
    XP Critical Updates
    Critical Update Q817287
    Personalize Win Update
    Personalize Win Update 2
    Security Update vs. Critical Update
    Recommended Security Updates
    Security Update 817606
    Windows Update Problem
    Windows Update Errors
    Windows Update and the Registry
    Windows Update Broken
    Windows Update
    Critical Update Over and Over...

HTH and makes some sense,

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SBP -- Thanks for your attempt to help. I spent a couple of hours looking at some of these threads, and their subthreads. The time involved, confusion, and complexity of the task simply points up the problem. I don't know what to install or avoid after spending 2 hours of my time, and hence am not going to do ANYTHING. Maybe an IT person could have profited, but as a user who simply wants to get other work done, I need a trusted source saying do this, don't do that. That would be a great service for Woody, Inc. -- to post a summary. It could even interrogate a logged in computer to see what version is on that computer. Anyway, thanks for the reply -- it's probably valuable to those who are serious hobbyists or professionals. I gave up on both decades ago. - Randy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thnaks - that does make it simple.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Randy--

Let me strip the complexity. Get all the updates to date. People who experienced the freezes and slows were in a statstically small minority actually. The key, like a side effect from a medication, is to add these one by one so that if in the equation of your machine, if they do cause a problem, you can uninstall. I haven't seen anything that you can't quickly uninstall in the way of a hotfix or an update in 3 years, with the exception of Windows Media Player 9 Beta, and Win Media 9, and Direct X 9 ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] and some of the Direct X updates.

It would be nice if Woody or someone made a list. This has already been done. They are all over the web--just google. Check out Security Focus' site. The problem is that a high percent of time, when people are blaming a hotfix for a problem--it may be another download, a driver, or 100 other things. It isn't always an easy pinpoint.

I understand where you're coming from--you don't want to devote a lot of time investigating, you have other stuff to do. But with the exception of one hotfix mentioned that's notorious, and nobody knows/or can approximate the exact incidence of problems except perhaps deep in a Redmond office at MS, and they fixed the problem on it.

So you're concern is disproportionate IMHO to the concern you should have for just blowing them off. I understand that a number of people will say just don't use them. I take a wait and see approach for a couple weeks on the critical ones. Then I download them one by one so I can troubleshot a side effect if need be, and wait a couple days. I can afford to be patient. They held some of them for a good while before releasing them anyway.

Some of the patches like the OESP1 cumulative patch include enhancement features as well as security. But people who nail problems with a patch uninstall it.

If I didn't think you should download them, I wouldn't have written anything. If I see any helpful one stop, I'll be sure and put it up here.

Good luck,

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Randy--

There is something that I should link you to so you can do a quick scan of the bulletin and context these security alerts quickly--they don't distribute the actual downloads of course, but the bulletins that link you to them and they give you a PGP signed code.

Microsoft Security Site
    Free Email Notifications Bulletins on all Security Patches Straight Talk or More Technical Versions
    List of Previous Security Bulletins

And Randy when you see a notification like the one they put out today, I'd give it a serious look and think about trying it and seeing how your system runs--you don't have to rush but I'd at least watch the lounge or CNET News the next couple weeks to see if they patch has any negative "reports."