Thread: Reports (A2k)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reports (A2k)

I've created a new database from an Excel file and have a question about a report. This database is to track membership leads. I used the wizard to import the data and it created a query for me. I need to create a report that will list all the leads for each particular month, to be run on the last day of each month. Shall I use criteria in the query the wizard created for me for dates to show, or do I need to create a new query altogether? I'm still really shaky on queries, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Reports (A2k)

What kind of import wizard did you use that created a query instead of a table? Or did you use the query wizard to create a query based in the imported table?

As to doing your report, I would create a parameter query that lets the user specify the interval of dates you want to show on the report, and then sort them in date order.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on whether the query is used for other purposes too, for example as Record Source of a form. If so, you wouldn't want to put the criteria in this query, because it would modify the behavior of the form too.

If you are not sure about this, stay on the safe side: create a new query based on the original one (you can base a query on another query as well as on a table), put the criteria in the new query and use the new query as data source for the report.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The import wizard created my tables and then asked me if I wanted it to also create a query that could be used for forms, reports and so on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My tables are the record source for the form I'm using, not the query. Shall I use the expression builder to set the date criteria? That's what I'm fooling around with right now.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By all means experiment, it's the best way to learn. Just make sure that you have a backup copy in case things go wrong.