Thread: power supply

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

power supply

I need to test several power supplies to determine which one has least fan noise. How to turn on the power supply without wiring it to the motherboard and case?

I was recommended to short the pin 14 and pin 15 with a 100 ohms resistor. Should I:
    1. short these two pins and leave the resistor connected there or
    2. just short both pins to power on the power supply and take it out immediately?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: power supply

If it works as the rest of them do, all you have to do is short it and remove, and the same thing to turn it off again. I have a MotherBoard that is not in a case that I test Hardware with, and that is how I turn things on and off at the board is by using that method. But I have never just turned on the Power Supply, but I'm sure it would be done the same way. But of course if it stops as soon as you remove the clip or whatever your using then that would mean the they have to remain shorted to keep the power on.

Check this out Power Supply Tester $14.95 and here $12.95 These allow you not only to see if they work but if they are working correctly, and there is a difference. The last one is pretty cool. Once it comes on the tester has a green and a red light. Green means good, red means replace it. Can't beat that for $12.95. Plugs right into the Power Supply.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboy,

I saw those testers on the net too. Since I just need to do the test once and I am not in PC repair business, it makes no sense to invest $12 plus shipping on this gadget. It was the reason why I searched for the manual method. However, I will check with local Fry's or Radio Shack to see if they carry it.

Thanks,

Banned Member
    Thanks

<hr>I need to test several power supplies<hr>

Sorry. I seen the above and was thinking you had several of them to check.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboy,

I meant I would do the test on several power suppliers once. This "several" is about two or three. Sorry for the confusion.