3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

temp file association (XP SP1)

My temp files have become associated with a bibliography program, EndNote, and I would like to reset the correct file association. What is the correct file association for temp files? I have changed the icon, but need to get the file association right. I guess that I need to drill down to shell32, but may be way off track, and don't know how to get there is this is the correct path.
    The EndNote tech support haven't come across this problem before, and have been unable to help me to fix the problem.
    Many thanks
    Dianne

Thanks

Re: temp file association (XP SP1)

The .tmp file extension is not normally associated with any program. It should have the generic windows icon that you would see if you named a file test.wxyz, or any other unrecognized extension, or no extension at all. I think you probably can "clear" the association using Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder Options>File Types tab.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. How do I clear the association? I can change the icon, but when using the advanced option, I am given the list of programs I can select from to associate temp files with. I want to have it unassociated with any particular file type, so how can this be achieved i.e. how can I make temp files generic?
    The incorrect association became a problem when I was unable to access autorecovered files created in Power Point, which went through a phase of crashing.
    Dianne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Jefferson wrote, go to the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options... in Windows Explorer.
    Locate and select .TMP in the list, then click Remove and confirm. This won't remove .tmp files, it only removes the association, so that .tmp files are not associated to any application any more, as should be.