New Lounger
    Thanks

inserting alternate blank lines (excel 2000)

Is there an easy way to insert blank lines for every other row in an existing spreadsheet area. (Want to do this so will have blank line on a print out so people have an area to write corrections on blank line below their data in a club roster.) Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: inserting alternate blank lines (excel 2000)

It would be possible to write a macro for that, but instead of inserting blank lines, why don't you increase the row height?

Thanks

I like Hans' suggestion of doubling the row width and it can be done via a macro.
    There also is a relatively simple non-macro solution.
    Insert a new column A
    insert the number 1 into A1 and 2 into A2
    Highlight(select) A1 and A2
    Move the cursor to the bottom right corner of the selection (cursor turns to "+") and then dbl-click. It will fill in the rest of the numbers to end of the data.
    Enter ctrl-c (to copy)
    end - down arrow ( to get to bottom of list)
    down arrow (go to first blank)
    ctrl-v to paste
    select A1 - data -sort
    sort by: Column A - ascending
    then by column B
    <ok>
    delete column A

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for you suggestion...I was able to get it done with only slight modifications to your instructions.
    One part did not work for me as you described : "Highlight(select) A1 and A2
    Move the cursor to the bottom right corner of the selection (cursor turns to "+") and then dbl-click. It will fill in the rest of the numbers to end of the data." ---- that part did not work as you said....dbl clicking only selected that single cell where cursor was......it did not fill any numbers down. Figuring that was what you were suggesting, I simply put a 1 in A1, then in A2 I did =A1+1, then selected cell A2 and then used a fill down for the rest of the A column.

Then I followed the rest of your suggestion by selecting all the A column cells with numbers, CTL C, then followed rest of your instructions.....It worked just like I needed.....Thanks!

Thanks

My guess is that you did NOT (after selecting both a1 and a2) have the cursor on the bottom right of the selection (=cell A2's bottom right). The cursur changes from the "cross" to a plus (+). Yes they could BOTH be called a plus, but the normal one is much thicker and the "fill one" is narrower. It only fills when you dblclick the narrow one.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

I understand what you said...but still nothing.
    I enter 1 in A1; 2 in A2; select both cells A1 and A2; move cursur so it is at bottom right of cell A2 where it turns into a narrow plus sign and then double click....but no fill...nothing happens. Sorry, but I do not know what I'm missing or not doing.

(Figuring I was missing something, I also tried dragging to select further down the A column and then double clicking when I get narrow plus sign, but no fill---nothing happens.)

It is no big deal to waste your time with further since your initial advice was key to providing me a method that worked very easily and I just used an equation to fill the column with a progression of numbers, then sorted as you specified.....I'm just curious why I am not getting your fill instructions to work. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

......never mind. Must have been a glitch with the first spread sheet I was trying it on (it may have been created with Excel 97 or older version)....anyway, when I opened a more recent spread sheet ( created with excel 2000) your fill instructions worked exactly as you wrote. Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.