3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Converting original 2000 CD to 2000 SPx (2000)

Is there any way to update office 2000 setup files to an SPx level? My Office 2000 CD is pre SR1, and when I have to rebuild I need to install office then SR1a then SP3. With the windows SP's I can take my win 2k setup files and upgrade them to SPx, then perform one installation. I've scoured the office website, but can only find references to administrative installation points, which I don't think is appropriate for me, as well as being a much bigger download (I have my office CD copied to my hard drive, and install and reinstall from this image, which is what I'd like to update).

Apart from ease of use, I tend to find that problems usually have their origin in the installation of service packs and updates. My evidence is all circumstantial, but I'd much rather update the installation files and perform a single install.

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting original 2000 CD to 2000 SPx (2000)

Mark--

If I understand you correctly, you want to slipstream Office 2000's four current service packs. I think there are ways. SP4 has recently been released. This site has had successful ways to slipstream Windows 2000 and Windows XP's SP1 previously:

Stephen Bink's Making a Bootable Windows 2000 CD with Service Pack Integrated

Mike Caldwell's Windows 2000/XP Slipstreaming

Office XP SP1 SP2 Slipstreaming--I know you're after 2000 but I threw this in for good measure for people who might want to slipstream Office XP and in case there were tips you could extrapolate

Tack Tech's Slipstreaming Service Packs Into Your Win2K CD

Beta Place's Office and Windows XP Slipstream Guide

HTH,

SMBP

Thanks

I don't think this options exists for retail and OEM versions of Office. You might have to experiment with the Administrative Install version in order to combine the various updates into a single install. However, I've never used that version, so I don't know the machinations required. Presumably the Office 2000 Resource Kit would contain at least some of the information, as well as the release notes for the administrative SRs and SPs.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With the keyword slipstream, and confirmation from the suggested websites that I did have to create and administrative install point (easy), and download the administrative updates (huge, but luckily our broadband started working 2 days ago), I found this link leading to here and here, both of which are unfriendly articles, but do give the correct filenames and syntax for sr1a and sp3 respectively. I found that reading the betaplace description, with the command lines from the MS articles, to be the most useful, having unsuccessfully looked in the resource kit and searched the KB itself (even going back and using "slipstream" in my search).

Haven't tried installing office from the slipstreamed admin point yet, but all service packs integrated successfully.

Thanks