New Lounger
    Thanks

DOS-BASED ADDRESS / IRQ ERROR

I'm running a 600mhz p3 laptop with Windows 2000, and I'm getting an error. (which I don't recall the exact wording), where my whole screen went out of graphics mode, turned blue and the top half of it was filled with closely spaced text depicting a whole bunch of addresses. There was some mention of irq referencing, a mention that hardware might not have been set up correctly, and and an indication that, If this is the first time I'm running Windows 2000 (which it's NOT, by far), I should reboot and go into Safe mode. It seemed to occur when I had my wireless D-Link 650 network card plugged in the PCMCIA slot, as I tried using the computer without the card installed, and didn't have any problems for several hours. The problem just started to occur sudcddenly. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thanks

Re: DOS-BASED ADDRESS / IRQ ERROR

This sounds like the famous BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) - and if it is the first time you've experienced it, you are part of a lucky minority.

For a quick definition see whatis.

This indicates your operating system suffered a fatal error from which it could not recover. Usually only the first few lines make any sense to the average person. I would say you have a hardware conflict - you may need to uninstall then re-install any hardware you plug in.

Edited to add:
    This also sounds like a duplicate of <post#=280855>post 280855</post#> - further responses there please.