New Lounger
    Thanks

Tweak UI V2.10 (Windows XP SR 1)

In WWW #6.10 Woody says that one of the new features of version 2.10 is that you can have Windows run a defrag whenever the hard drive is idle (if Windows determines that one is necessary). I can't find that option; can anyone help me? Thanks, Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tweak UI V2.10 (Windows XP SR 1)

Click on "General" (the second item in the left hand pane)
    Scroll the "Settings" list in the right hand pane.
    The next to last item is "Optimize hard disk when idle".
    Make sure this item is checked.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hans does just checking that automatically imply defrag when idle or anything else? It would have been nice for them to lable it a little more clearly. I have it checked but Diskeeper takes over defrags function (if you press defrag on the Tools Tab for a hard drive--diskeeper will come up not the native defrag) so it doesn't run diskeeper when idle. But diskeeper will run when Idle if you set it and forget it, and you can get defrag to run as a scheduled task with a number of scripts. Doug Knox has one here:

Doug Knox's Defrag All Hard Drives as a Scheduled Task

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Tigercat--

Defragging as Scheduled Task and On Boot

You can also get XP and probably most flavors of Windows to run defrag automatically aside from Tweak UI (from Kelly's XP A-Z under defrag):

Defrag - Run as a Scheduled Task:

A small VB Script can be used to run DEFRAG as a Scheduled Task. This script will scan your system and identify all hard disks, then will execute the DEFRAG program for each one. Create a new Scheduled Task and point it to this VBS file. The task must run with Administrator credentials. The script can be downloaded here.

To only defragment one drive as a Scheduled Task, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scheduled Tasks/Add Scheduled Task.

Enter DEFRAG.EXE X: -F where X is the drive you wish to defragment.

The only way a non-administrator can defragment a local volume is to run the Dfrg.msc console in the context of a user who has administrator privileges. You can accomplish this by running the following command:

Right click and select runas /user:administrator@domain.company.com "mmc dfrg.msc". The user is prompted for the administrator password. This command may be useful for an administrator who wants to run a defragmentation on a user's computer without forcing the user to log off.

Defrag on Boot - Enable/Disable

A great new feature in Microsoft Windows XP is the ability to do a boot defragment. This places all boot files next to each other on the disk to allow for faster booting. By default this option is enabled but on some builds it is not so below is how to turn it on.

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDfrgBootOptimiz eFunction
    Select Enable from the list on the right. Right on it and select Modify. Change the value to Y to enable and N to disable.
    Reboot your computer.

Also see HKEY LOCAL MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSessionManage rMemory ManagementPrefetchParameters and EnablePrefetcher = 1 application launch prefetching, 2 boot prefetching
    add the numbers.

Also
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDfrg "Enable"="Y" (Y = defrag will optimize for boot and app launch)

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hieronymous,

I have no idea what the exact function of the setting is, and whether it cooperates with any of the third-party defraggers. I do notice that my hard disk doesn't get more fragmented despite intensive use, while I haven't set anything to run automatically apart from the TweakUI setting, so...