3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Calculating Tax (Accecss 97 and 2000)

I use the following formula in a query to calculate sales tax for a funeral home that is only allowed to charge sales tax on a portion of some goods and service. The attached works perfectly for them. However, effective 8/1 we have had a sales tax increase from 7% to 8% and I do not want to change [taxrate] on records prior to 8/1/03. So, using the following, how do I fix this thing so that records prior to 8/1, stay at the old tax rate and records after 8/1 use the new tax rate. I would of course like to use the [taxrate] field with the new 8% rate.

Tax: (([Casket]+[TotalSectionA]+[TotalSectionC])/2)*[TAXRATE]+([TotalSectionB]-[Casket])*[TAXRATE]

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give me on this.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calculating Tax (Accecss 97 and 2000)

Hi

What about using a if then statement based on the date.

Regards
    WTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use something like TaxRate: IIf([SalesDate]<#8/1/2003#,0.07,0.08) where SalesDate is the field that determines the date of the sale, and use this TaxRate in further calculations.

If you want to be more flexible, you could create a table with fields Date_Effective (date/time) and TaxRate (numeric single, formatted as Percentage). It would be more work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you; exactly what I needed. A simple matter but in the past year I have gotten away from doing much Access development due to a career change and suddenly when someone asks me for a change on a previous database, I'm all thumbs. Have to get into it once again.

Thanks for your kind assistance.