New Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer SQL DB problems (SQL2000 SP3)

I have an Access adp application that I'm having trouble transferring to another machine. The target machine is running the same version/patches of SQL Server as the development machine. I'm using the Transfer Database tool from Access XP's Tools menu. The transfer fails at 99% complete, while the process is copying extended properties. Microsoft can verify problems with the "wizard" but so far offers no solution. Has anyone run into this before and managed a solution?

Thanks,

Keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Transfer SQL DB problems (SQL2000 SP3)

Are you using the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine that comes with Office XP, or do you have a full developer or production version of SQL Server on you second PC? If you have the latter, the Enterprise Manager has the full Import/Export facility that can be used to move SQL Server databases from one server to another. About the only other option is to do a SQL Backup and then do a restore to the new PC.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have SQL Server 2k Developer Ed on the development machine and SQL Server 2k Std Ed on the Windows 2k Server. Unfortunately DTS (Enterprise Manager) requires a domain to function properly, and my client doesn't have a domain. Microsoft has indicated that the backup/restore when moving between servers can cause problems. I trust their claim, but some folks seem to have done this without incident.

Keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually, the problems with restores usually focus on user definitions when you are using Integrated Security with SQL Server. But I am surprised that you can't make DTS work without having an NT domain controller defined - actually in a network there are lots of good reasons for running a domain, not the least of which is Integrated Security. But you should be able to do a backup to a device that is defined as a shared resource that can be accessed from both your development machine and your server, and then do a restore. However you may not want to use the wizard to do the backup, as you will need to change some things for the restore. Also since this is a newly developed database, you might want to consider just rebuilding the structure and the views and stored procedures by using the scripting facility, and simply build a new SQL Server database for production. (That assumes that you don't want to use any of your test data as live data in the production database.)
    Wendell