New Lounger
    Thanks

combo blank, additions are no problem (Access 2000 sr1 and 3)

Dear all

Am currently converting my access 97 db to a2K.

I have an unbound combo box on a form. This is in the header of the form. The form itself is bound to an EMPTY table (initially), displaying the table contents in some text boxes in the detail section of the form. When I try select data in the combo box, although it gets selected (I can see the consequences of that in other text boxes), it does not display!!! This was all fine in A97.

Is this a known bug in Access 2000? I have seen people discussing this but no solutions in various newsgroups.

I've mucked about with this and noticed the following:
    1. If i set allow additions to yes, you can then see the data in the combo (this was not needed for A97), however you get at least one blank row in the row
    2. Even if the combo is a simple value list, this is still not displayed.

To replicate this:
    Created a new form, record source set to a (currently) blank table. AllowAdditions set to No So, detail appears blank (which is expected). Combo set up in Form Header, combo bound to another table (which lists the values I want in that combo). Default value set in combo. The combo is visible when form opens but the default value is not. When I click the combo box, I get the correct drop down list - however on selecting the desired value - this does not appear in the combo. It is selected though and stored, just not visible. This is different to Ac97.

The combo is a normal combo, no unusual settings on it.

Any advice? Thanks

There is a small mdb attached which illustrates the problem, if that helps.

Cheers
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: combo blank, additions are no problem (Access 2000 sr1 and 3)

Although this exact problem is not mentioned in the Knowledge Base (at least, I could't find it), Microsoft admits that this is a bug in a similar situation (<!mskb=229755>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 229755<!/mskb>); the error is also mentioned several times in the Microsoft Newsgroups. This bug has been solved in Access 2002, but that doesn't help you...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many Thanks

I have emailed MS about it (Not that I expect a reply!).

If I get any useful info, will post to here.

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks

Reply from Microsoft

Well they did! That was good - here is the data...

Hi Tom -

This is Steven from Microsoft Access Technical Support replying to your Access/combobox issue.

The behavior that you see with comboboxes on a bound Access 2000 form when AllowAdditions is set to No is a known problem. There are no service releases or packs available for resolving the issue. You must apply a workaround of your choice to avoid the problem.

Along with the workarounds that you may have already been given via the newsgroups, another workaround is to create an unbound mainform that contains your unbound combobox. Then place your other form that is based on an empty table as a subform into the new mainform.

Because this is a known problem in Access 2000, your warranty or charge for this incident has been rolled back.

Thank you for using Microsoft Access,

- Steven Parsons
    - Microsoft Access Technical Support

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reply from Microsoft

Thanks for giving this feedback - it may help others experiencing the same problem in Access 2000.