New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't use Windows Update (XP Home)

When I first set up XP Home, I had an always-on broadband connection, but 9 months ago, I switched to a dial-up (long story.) Because of this, I haven't done much patching, and the one patch I installed about 6 months ago rendered XP inoperable. Now, whenever I go to the MS Update site and ask the site to scan for updates, it tells me there are no updates for my computer. I know this is BS. When I try to have Windows Update show me all of the patches, Windows Update just freezes and I have to close my browser and re-connect to the site. HELP! I'm way, way behind on patches. I'd like to get SP-1 on a CD-ROM, but can't find a way to do this either. Dan MacDuff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't use Windows Update (XP Home)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I first set up XP Home, I had an always-on broadband connection, but 9 months ago, I switched to a dial-up (long story.) Because of this, I haven't done much patching, and the one patch I installed about 6 months ago rendered XP inoperable. Now, whenever I go to the MS Update site and ask the site to scan for updates, it tells me there are no updates for my computer. I know this is BS. When I try to have Windows Update show me all of the patches, Windows Update just freezes and I have to close my browser and re-connect to the site. HELP! I'm way, way behind on patches.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why do you repost the same question?

Thanks

May I assume you are using Internet Explorer? WindowsUpdate uses an ActiveX control to check all the versions of things on your computer and render the page. If you do not have *.microsoft.com listed as a Trusted Site in IE, or if you are running any security software (e.g., Norton firewall, ZoneAlarm, etc.), you might be blocking the control from downloading and/or running. Does this help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a try

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, I have MS as a trusted site. However, Windows Update goes thru the process of scanning my system, then reports back that there are no updates available for my system. In fact, I have'nt installed a patch for about 4 months (the last one I installed crashed my computer and it took me 2 weeks to figure out how to get booted up again. Thanks for any assistance. I'm not too knowledgeable re computers.

Thanks

I'm not sure why it's confused. I assume you have total power on your machine (you are an administrator) but, if you don't, you could try logging on as the administrator (or maybe it was owner in XP Home?).

Plan B would be to manually identify fixes, although this is a bit of a pain:

Windows XP Downloads in Reverse Chronological Order 312 offers!

Windows XP Downloads, keyword SECURITY, in Reverse Chronological Order 69 offers

I can't remember how to display the patches that already have been applied to Windows (Start > Help didn't). Hopefully someone can point that out!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Try going here: Windows XP From A to Z and look in the 'W' section for Windows Update. Kelly has several things to check/do to fix WU problems.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dan--

In addition to Joe's and Jefferson's useful suggestions, try this and you'll get the bulletins for 99% of any updates XP has because they are security, and search for the rest on the corporate site.

See this lounge thread and the post I just did:

Windows Update Coroporate Location: Links for Update Lists Lounge XP Threads 13 August 2003

Win Update has some well known bugs, but you can get around them somewhat by personalizing the corporate site or using the security bulletin or other lists. One is they'll repeat notify you of the same downloads, including ones you already have. It will often tell you you need a new driver, when you have a later one and often offers drivers older than are available at the hardware manufacturer or many driver sites.

hth,

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Help may be on the way for you and everyone who has problems with WinUpdate:

Microsoft Installer 3.0 Set To Test Soon...One Giant Leap

Mary Jo calls it One Giant Leap, but it remains to be seen in which direction and for whom.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I feel like an idiot. (a familar feeling I admit). I have been running the AdSubtract proxy. As soon as I selected "stop filtering," I was able to use Windows Update. Thanks for the suggestions anyway.