Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Saved document formats in Word 2000

I have been rather puzzled by the Word 2000 document format "Word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc)" for two reasons: a) if it's RTF format, why is it given a .DOC extension, and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] what is the difference between this and ordinary "Rich Text Format (*.rtf)"? Does anyone know the answers to this, please? The Help information on this topic doesn't, really...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Saved document formats in Word 2000

Not sure if this is it, but... when Word97 first came out, I believe MS didn't have time to create a true converter for Word6/95 format, so saving in that format generated an RTF document with a .doc extension. This caused major problems for Word6/95. Why this should be in Word2000 I have no idea.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saved document formats in Word 2000

I can't point you to any authority at the moment, but MS has had different .rtf formats. The .rtf format that Word 97 saved documents in as Word 6/7 documents was not the same format as just saving in .rtf format. Word 6 & 7 also co-exsisted with .rtf formats.

As to why, well, ....??? (but the .doc extension was so that people with ealier versions of Word could open the document by double clicking.