New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I remove start up programs

I can no longer find the form in Admin Tools to remove applications that auto load on start up. I remember doing this on several occasions when W2K first came out but can't find it now. I have a couple of new applications that are loading when I start W2k (I hate that!) and want to remove them. I can't find a ref to them in the usual startup folder so where are they hiding? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do I remove start up programs

You can find startup items in the following keys in the registry; you can get at them using RegEdit - be very careful, things like your anti-virus software will be in there too, you don't want to remove those!

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRunServices

There are many utilities that display the startup items and some information about them, for instance Spybot Search and Destroy

Banned Member
    Thanks

You can install this MSCONFIG for Win2000 and use it like you did with Win98 or the way we use it with WinXP. After you install go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG a window will come up, click on the Startup tab and there you are. Disable the Startup Items that you don't need, click OK and then you will reboot. A window will come up telling you that you made changes to Startup. Check don't show this message again. And your ready to go.
    Or you could use this JoeJoe's StartRight I prefer MSCONFIG because it was made for Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have an anxiety attack every time I have to work with the Registry and MSCONFIG sounded familiar. Sure nuff, iIremember the form from WIN98. Could have sworn I had used it in W2K but I'm well over 50 now and the memory is not quite what it was. Thanks for the replys

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wayno--

I put some useful utilities for working with startup programs that extend the functionality of the msconfig utility in this thread and a thread with some additional useful information on impacting programs that startup in the registry. These programs will let you control startup items to a fair extent without visiting the registry if you don't want to:

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xp&Number=281498&page=0&vie w=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=">
    Lounge Thread XP:Systems Config Utility: 5 August 2003 Post 282289</A>

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks