New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail to task (2002)

Is there any way to have new messages automatically create a task related to that message?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail to task (2002)

You can drag a message into a task folder and it will create an unsaved task where the Task Subject inherits the Message Subject and the task text Body contains the Message, but that's it. The content of a Message and a Task are not very related; Tasks need Start and Due dates, optional Reminder times and other fields that are not automatically derived from a Message.

Given all that you may be able to do something simple with VBA. Can you explain the objective in a bit more detail?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you are looking at actually setting up as Task in Outlook, you will need some kind of add-in - which will be enabled by the Rules Wizard "perform a custom action". Try looking at the http://www.slipstick.com site as a start. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

We recieve requests from outside agencies on a regular basis to respond to information requests. I have a mesage rule to move the email to a specicifed folder, but would also like the rule to create a task in my task list - which would alos provide a record of responses for regulatory compliance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, I had looked at Slipstick -- only found one tool - requires Exchange. We don't use Exchange.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll need to think about how you will establish Task items such as Due Date from the Message. While I'm sure it can be done with VBA it would be best to create a Custom Rule, which is beyond my skills. But continue to post back how the details would be derived, and I can do a bit of the VBA, and perhaps someone with more expertize can help.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

New Lounger
    Thanks

When the message arrives, I would like to create a tesk that references the message and sets a due date of [TODAY] + 2 days (next 2 business days if possible, but would be happy with 2 calendar days.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As you probably will have seen, writing Custom Actions requires knowledge of C++. Googling, putting Custom Action in quotes, might yield something.

Perhaps the simpler alternative of setting up a Rule with a Follow Up flag for 2 days is probably your best bet.

HTH
    Gre