2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay - What's happening here? (2000)

I hope someone can help. I have a database with make table query that copies a linked read only table and adds a column that converts a 6 digit subaccount to a 5 digit account number. This is necessary in order to use the table in a query that also draws from a table that has only the 5 digit number. The table I'm linked to has gotten enormous. It is near the end of our Fiscal year.
    First - after running for a long time, I got the message not enough -- space or memory. Couldn't tell which so I cleaned up the drive, and shut down all possible programs.
    Then I got -- Invalid argument. What???? I've been using this query for more than a year.
    Are you with me so far? I changed the query from design to SQL view to see if I could see something strange. Don't know how I thought I would recognize strange if I saw it. I intended to change back to design view and clicked database view by mistake. It ran the query and -- you guessed it - brought up the database view. What I need is the table.
    Oh wise and wonderful gurus, what have I done here? More importantly, How do I fix this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Okay - What's happening here? (2000)

If you switch an action query, such as a make-table query, to datasheet view (I assume you mean that by "database view"), the action won't be executed, but the records to be affected will be displayed. This is nothing to worry about. You can just switch back to design view, or close the query. Nothing will have been changed.
    As you have found out, there is a difference for action queries between View and Run; for a selection query, they are the same.

Before running (executing) the query, close the database, and make a copy to another drive, or to a CD-ROM (if it fits), or something like that.
    Next, open the database and select Tools | Database Utilities | Compact and Repair Database...
    Just for fun: note the size of the database (in an Explorer window) before and after compacting.
    Compacting will get remove all the unused loose space and re-create the indexes.
    Then try to run (execute) the make-table query again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that wasn't particularly successful. Access stopped responding. Can you give me a clue why a query would get approximately 3/4 the way through and then decide it has an "invalid argument".
    Never say I ask easy questions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen this error if the data contained an unexpected value. For example, perhaps the conversion from a six digit subaccount to a five digit number might not work if the six digit subaccount is empty, or has a form you didn't anticipate. Inspect the source table, and sort it on the six digit subaccount; look for anomalous values in the first and last records.