Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network Printers (XP Pro)

I work at a school district running a Windows 2000 network and we are having problems installing our printers. We are in the process of ghosting all student and teacher pcs and all the software works fine. The problem we are having is installing the printers. If I sign on as the administrator and install some printers, I sign off and sign back on as a the administrator, the printers are there. But, if I sign on as a student, the printers are no longer there. The same happens when I sign on as a student, install printers, sign off, sign on again as the administrator, the printers disappear. We will have the ability for the students to install printers blocked once we attach their login scripts because we do not want them to have the ability to install printers because they will be printing all over the district just for fun! We talked to Microsoft who said that the feature of installing network printers to the local machine has been taken away due to the fact that corporate America didn't want the feature and preferred the users printers to follow them wherever they were. My question is, has anyone else ran into this problem and if so how did you fix it? For example, we would like to install the printers for Room 4 on all room 4 pc's and no matter whoever logged into that pc, they would have access to the printers in that particular room.

I hope I have made myself clear on what we are trying to do.

Thank you for your help!
    Wendy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Printers (XP Pro)

If you setup the printers as a local device, then point the port to the network location, this should get you around your problem.
    Christopher Baldrey