Star Lounger
    Thanks

Option Setting (Excel XP)

I have just joined a new organization running Excel XP ... which I have had at home since it was released so I am an experienced user, but there seems to be an option setting in my work install that I cannot find and it is driving me crazy. I'm hoping someone can give me some suggestions. What is happening is that everytime I enter a -(minus sign) or a + (plus sign) without the = (equal sign to designate a formula) it automatically adds the = sign and assumes it is a formula ... when it is not. How do I turn it off??? Also .... in order to enter a date (ie, 12/31/03) it automatically treats it as a formula unless I put the ' (apostrophe) ahead of it ... I have checked the cell formatting and it is clearly formatted for a date entry ... yet it is calculating it as an equation. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance, Chris

Thanks

Re: Option Setting (Excel XP)

Chris,

Sounds like Lotus123 characteristics. Go to Tools | Options | Transition (tab).
    Make sure "Transition formula entry" is unchecked. On my system the only thing checked is "Microsoft Excel Menus".

Regards,

Jim Cone
    San Francisco, CA

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Option Setting (Excel XP)

Thanks Jim ... I thought it was a 1-2-3 translation of some kind and had looked there .. so I do know that option you mention is checked ... I thought I had tried unchecking it and still had the problem ... but I will try again on Thursday (as I am not in the office tomorrow). I appreciate the help.