Star Lounger
    Thanks

direct x 9b (windows xp sr-1)

Upgraded from windows 98 to xp pro. Installed the new direct x9b. Now the game will not load. The loading screen just says loading. Have to restart the computer to get out of the screen. Can't play the game now.
    I see other people have had similar problems after installing direct x 9b based on Microsoft's newsgroups. How can I remove 9b and download and install 9a?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: direct x 9b (windows xp sr-1)

When I had a problem with X9 I used System Restore and then downloaded the correct one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My problem is that when I upgraded to xp, I downloaded 37 updates. I could not find direct x 9 or 9a on Microsoft's site to overwrite the 9b.

Banned Member
    Thanks

All I could find of eailer versions on Microsoft was DirectX 8.0a for Windows 95, 98, and Me

According to thier facts section 9.0b is backwards compatable DirectX 9.0b download and Facts and if your having trouble it says to reload it because you cannot remove it. Like I said I had problems with the Beta version when it first came out and I did a System Restore to my previous state and waited for the the new release and then Downloaded it and it worked fine with all my games.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mike--

As Cowboy says, you can't remove Direct X 9([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] according to the 9(b)FAQ, and while there are scattered bug reports on the Direct X 9 ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] MSN newsgroups --it isn't in the category of a wide spread problem upgrade--a lot of people aren't having problems with it. From the FAQ:

"DirectX 9.0 is a system component and cannot be uninstalled. If there is a problem with the DirectX installation, it can normally be resolved by shutting down all running applications and reinstalling. As mentioned previously, DirectX 9.0 is fully backward-compatible with titles written for previous versions of DirectX. If you are having other problems after installing DirectX 9.0, these can often be resolved by installing updated drivers for your display card, audio card, or input device."

Also see this set of Direct X Home User FAQs

So it may be a problem with one of your drivers needing updating and drivers can corrupt, but I'd first just close all brower windows (and I usually don't to install most programs) and try reinstalling it--at least a couple times. If a file is corrupt this may take care of it.

You can always try System Restore.

Which game is it BTW?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks