2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like Case Insensitive (Access 97)

Hi

I think I know 1/2 the answer to this, but would welcome a full explanation for it occurring.

I originally had a union query that pulled data from a table in informix BE using ODBC and a table in Access. I then created a 2nd query based on the first, which is used to search for records in a form using a like statement eg select * from 1stquery where fieldname like forms![formname]!fieldname.

Results returned were case insenstive ie company* returned Company, COMPANY, or company.

To speed up performance, the search criteria is now placed in the union query eg

select * from informixtable where fieldname like forms![formname]!fieldname;
    union select * from accesstable where fieldname like forms![formname]!fieldname;

The problem with this is the search on the informix table has now become case sensitive. I presume this is due to the structure of the informix table. However, why does the use of a 2nd query suddenly make it case insensitive.

Yours curious

WTH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Like Case Insensitive (Access 97)

In the original version, you had a union query that pulled data from Informix and Access. You then built a query that filtered data from the union query. The union query pulls all data into Access, so the second query works entirely within Access, which is case insensitive.

In the new version, you filter directly on the Informix table, and since Informix is case sensitive, you get a different result.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Like Case Insensitive (Access 97)

Hi Hans

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
    WTH