3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

words instead of cell numbers in formulas (2000)

I use Microsofts loan amoritation template for loans. The shortcoming is that it assumes the payment was made on time. I want to modify it so I can add the actual payment paid. The question is, the formulas use words in reference to cells, rather than the normal identification.
    I have attached the template to this, which is the standard amoritization table with my new collumns added ("actual payment date, actual payment received, and late pmt").
    To see what I mean, go to cell I18. The formula makes reference to "Sched_Pay", instead of saying D18, which is the cell its referring to.
    1- How does one define a group of cells like that?
    2-How can I change that to refer not to Scheduled Payment (column D) and refer to my new column (F) of Actual Payment received.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: words instead of cell numbers in formulas (2000)

Select Insert | Name | Define... to see a list of defined names in the workbook, and their definitions. A defined name can refer to a range (such as Sched_Pay - it refers to D18377), but also to a formula (for example Last_Row - it refers to the formula =IF(Values_Entered,Header_Row+Number_of_Payments,H eader_Row))
    You can create a new name Actual_Payment referring to $F$18:$F$377. You can then refer to Actual_Payment in formulas.

There are several Excel add-ins that make working with defined names easier, for example Name Manager from WMVP/Excel MVP <!profile=Pieterse>Pieterse<!/profile> and Navigator Utilities from <!profile=MarkWW>MarkWW<!/profile> (links in their profiles)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: words instead of cell numbers in formulas (2000)

Thanks!!!
    I'm always amazed at how much you guys know.
    Rick