3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Syncrnize online db with local db (Access 2000)

He is a good question. I have a db online which stores information in 3 tables , with one column in the table including a link to an image. I would like to automatically transfer the data and images from the online db to the local db several time a day. When that happens, I need to automatically remove the images and update the records on the online server. (otherwise i will run out of space) Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be awesome. Thge web interface in build in ASP.net

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Syncrnize online db with local db (Access 2000)

I don't believe there are any standard features in Access that will help you much with this. So I think you are going to need to write some code, and also have some queries and such to execute on a periodic basis. I would link to the tables in the online database from the local one. There are timer events that you can run in Access that would kick off a process every so often to find new records and process them, but that means that the local Access database will always need to be running. There are also likely to be some maintenance issues that will need to be addressed.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yikes OK. I was not thinking of the tables being stored onlinebeing the data for both databases. I was thinking of somehow automatically query's the data based on a timestamp and storing the results in the local database. The other kicker is each record will have a link to an image. I have to somehow get all the images downloaded into the local computer as well since forms will include an image. Since there is only a limited amount of space on the server, images from the server will get deleted every few days

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IS it possable to insert data in a local access db from results from a query executed in a browser?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Assuming that your online database is Access based, you would have to have links to the local database tables in order to do that. I'm not sure you can run action queries that are precompiled, but you should be able to run the standard SQL string sort of action queries. One issue that is a factor here is security - do you want users to be able to hack into your local database and do things to it? If you link it the other way, I think you have less risk.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was thinkin of either somehow inputting data from a webform directly into the local stored database (Maybe give the server an IP or something) or store the data from the webform online, query the data locally though a webform and store the results in the local db. I am not sure if either are possable and I am still trying either one