New Lounger
    Thanks

'document' is reserved by ... (2000)

A friend of mine got the message that a document is reserved by her colleague, and has to enter a password to unlock it for modification.
    The colleague says she didn't put a password in, or at least she doesn't know how she did that.
    I can't find out what happened either...
    Can anyone help out?
    - What happened?
    - How can we modify the document?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'document' is reserved by ... (2000)

Do you use TeamLinks to share documents?

Can your friend save the document under another name, or copy the contents to a new document?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,

We don't use Teamlinks;
    I tried saving under another name, but we still got the message.
    I'll include a screengrab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When a document is opened, Word creates a small file in the same folder as the document that contains the name of the user who opened it. The name of this small file is that of the document with ~$ substituted for the first two characters.
    When the document is closed normally, the small file will be deleted, but if something goes wrong (some kind of crash), it may remain. See if the folder with the document contains a file "~$py of 03pu4939.doc" and if so, delete it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I know what you mean, It's the first idea I had too.
    There is no such file in the current directory;
    Besides - this is a different message. In the screen grab you can see that it's asking for a password to enable modification.
    The message that you mentioned offers a button to work Read-Only...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps the document has become corrupted; opening it read-only and copying everything from it to a new document is probably the best you can do.

The alternative would be to search the Internet for microsoft word password recovery; there are many utilities and services out there that offer to crack the password.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 07-Aug-03 14:55. )</P>I think the terminology is different in different versions of Word, but one can save a document with a password for modification, separate from the password for opening. Once upon a time this was under Save Options..., but now is on the Security Options... tab in Word XP.

Added: This is meant to protect the original. You can Save As..., get rid of the password, and continue from there if you don't need to modify the original file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Someone must have put the password on the file to protect it but it doesnt necessarily have to be the person that Word says it was. When a password is added to a file, the dialog shown when opening the file lists the person named as the author in the File Properties. In practice, this means that the person who first created the file (or its Save As predeccessor) would be listed as the person who added the password which is potentially not true if lots of people have edited the file.

Jefferson has already given you the clue on how to remove the password but it is located in a slightly different area in Word 2000. Open the file as read only and then clear the password asterixs from the Tools > Options > Save area.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia