3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD R vs CD RW (XP Home)

Please tell me if this is correct: If I use a CD (either CD R or CD RW) for backup, copying the same file again and again, each time the file occupies a different physical location on the CD, but updates the TOC to "see" the latest version only. Thus, though I'm putting the same file on again and again, it is not really overwriting the previous version and so will eventually fill the disk. And a CD-RW cannot erase individual files, but it can erase or clear the whole disk to start over.

I've been having the hardest time understanding how Windows handles CD's and I think I have been asking all the wrong questions.

Thanks so much.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: CD R vs CD RW (XP Home)

You can use Nero INCD to format a CD-RW to work like a Large Floppy. I use it to backup Quickens because Quickens uses Packet Writing. Anyway using it in this fasion in will Overwrite the existing files { of course it will ask you first if thats what you want to do}. If you overwrite it just takes op the space it had before or needs now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Most of the people I work with will not have 3rd party software for CD management. They will use what is available as part of Windows. I am most concerned that I understand how the Windows program is writing / re-writing / erasing files on CD's. Can you tell me if my description is accurate, assuming my only CD management software is that provided with Windows? (Windows XP in this instance.)

Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks

You are correct in your assumption. Windows does not do the things a third party program like Nero will do. Why wouldn't you want a third party CD Writing program?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just as Woody's Lounge is a resource when I need questions answered, I am a resource for a lot of "just folks" who struggle with routine computer use, applications software, etc. So before I buy something non-standard that most of my clientele will not use, I need to understand how things work with the tools they will have. While I do work with office personnel, I also bail out housewives, farmers, senior citizens, etc.

Thank you for your confirmation.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Nora--

You might take a look at this as a $15 quick and easy alternative for your needs to software like Nero and Roxio's burn software:

Thread Lounge Software Finds and Wants: Burnquick 3.4a 07 August 2003

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I'll check it out.