Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Freezing when I try to create something new (Outlook 2000)

I'm using Windows 98. Recently I have had the following problem. While I can open Outlook and receive my email, as soon as I try to create anything (a new email, a contact, an appointment, etc.), my computer freezes. When I press Ctrl + Alt + Del, I get the following message: "The system is dangerously low in resources." Outlook can be the only application open and it still does this. I have just installed oodles of RAM. I reinstalled Office 2000. It still does the same thing.

Anybody got any idea how I can solve this dilemma?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freezing when I try to create something new (Outlook 2000)

<!post=Here's,279643>Here's<!/post> one possibility in the "upstream" posts.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, the TIF file-space is probably not the answer, can you post the exact build/version of OL 2000? Do you get any messages at all before the freeze? Is the problem when you try to create anything in the PST file? How big is the PST file? If the problem is with the PST file, save a backup copy of your PST, close all Outlook processes and run "scanpst.exe" also known as the "Inbox Repair Tool".
    UTC -7DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is my version of Outlook - Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821).

The problem is that I can't do anything. It is not just email. I can't make a new contact or a new appointment, etc.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Loungers, are there known issues with John's version?

John, after you check the file size (there is a 2GB limit), and attempt to repair the PST, if the problem still exists, look at the remedies in <!mskb=223744>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 223744<!/mskb> and <!mskb=290634>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 290634<!/mskb>. If these fail post back.
    UTC -7DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not even close to the limit. Tried to run the thing that corrects the Mapi configuration. It wouldn't go. Tried the other solution. Nothing there either. Tried to make a new contact and it froze. When I did the Ctrl + Alt + del thing, it gave me my error message again. The only way I can get my computer to work again is to shut if off and turn it on again. Ouch!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you run scanpst.exe on your PST file and it found no errors?
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freezing when I try to create something new (O

9.0.0.3821 is the standard version number for SR-1. Since Woody now recommends SR-3 - as it no longer locks down with the Security Patch [and throws away the key] - I would be inclined to suggest that John upgrades. HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It found some errors, I corrected them, but it still wouldn't create anything new (the blue screen of death).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is a problem John. Other Loungers, please chip in with any suggestions! I agree with unkamunka that SR3 is a better version, but I don't think that your particular problem will be solved by it.

You haven't noted if you get any error messages, or just a complete freeze. Also, I think you should first run all system disk diagnostics and the defrag program just to ensure that there isn't some other cause.

You probably have a corrupt item in your PST that is blocking creation of new items, or some corruption in your Outlook installation. To test, I recommend that you again make a backup copy of your PST, and then we make a couple of radical changes. To do these you'll want to keep track of file names and locations for your PST and its copy, and also get out your Outlook installation CD('s). Having made the backup PST copy ...

First, can you archive the major components of your PST, starting with Calendar, Contacts and your e-mail folders? If so do so with a separate archive for each, and keep a record of where you archived them and what file names. If not, you run a high risk of losing much of what you have built in the next steps.

Next, can you delete items? If so, sort all all the recent Contacts and Calendar events you created, and e-mails you have recieved or sent in the week or so before the problem, and delete say the last week of items. Close and restart Outlook and see if it helps.

If it doesn't, close Outlook. Find your PST and rename it to something like John_PST.OLD. Restart Outlook and work through all the fear and loathing messages about it being unable to find the PST. Let Outlook create a new default PST. Work with the new PST and see if the creation problem still occurs. If the problem continues reinstall Outlook.

Then attempt to restore your PST either step-by-step via the archives or via restoring the entire original PST.
    UTC -7DS

Thanks

Anyone remember how to clear the Outlook forms cache? I believe when anything new is created Outlook retrieves a default "form" for it, so maybe cache corruption is causing the problem.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Good idea. I think this <!mskb=232314>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 232314<!/mskb> is it.
    UTC -7DS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is an update on what I have done to try to rectify the problem. Two virus scans with different software. Two spider detection scans with different software. Uninstalling Outlook once and reinstalling it with my software. Uninstalling the whole Microsoft Office Suite and reinstalling it with someone else's software. Still the same problems. I read the article that John provided a hyperlink to. It was interesting. I did have two profiles on the machine, but deleted one because I was never using it anymore. Could this be the problem? Would love to try UnkaMunka's solution of downloading a newer version, but where can I get version 3, as he suggests. I have Windows 98. I could get a copy of Outlook 2002 from a friend, but will it work with Windows 98? Sorry for all of the questions, but this is really getting me down.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freezing when I try to create something new (O

Office 2000 Service Pack 3 is available here.
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Running Office 2000 on Windows versons eralier than 2000 is not supposed to be a good thing. I think unkamunka is referring to Office 2000 SP3 which can be found at <!mskb=326585>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 326585<!/mskb>.

Did you clear the forms cache as Jefferson suggested?

If so, I can only recommend you make backups of your PST and PAB (if you have one), then run full disk diagnostics, and then follow the more dangerous route of clearing recent items and then detaching you PST as I proposed <!post=here,283010>here<!/post>.
    UTC -7DS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast