Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Linche

Illegal operation messages

Suddenly all kinds of problems associated with IE. I had IE5.0 or 5.1. Thought downloading IE5.5 SP might help but it didn't. I'm getting: freezes, partial screens, general protection faults in module NVDISP.DRV, not enough memory, illegal operation that shut me down...tons of problems. Clicking on "Details" in the illegal operation messages all seem to begin "Explorer caused...". Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Illegal operation messages

I don't have an answer, but this sounds like "Windows Explorer", not IE, when messages start with "Explorer".

ril

I agree with Phil that it sounds like Explorer.

Could be bad video drivers.

If you do think it is IE, try downloading the IE error reporting tool from MS's Windows Update site. (in Win98, its Start Menu->Settings->Windows Update)

Linche

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions. I'll try everything you've suggested and see what happens!

Linche

Hi Ril,
    Just one problem...I've been looking for a half hour now and cannot find that error reporting tool in Microsoft's sites. As usual, they send you around in circles. If you know where it is can you please send me the address? Going in there your way (Windows Update and searching and browsing around didn't work.) Thanks so much. Linche

ril

It should be in the list of updates available from Windows Update.

It may require IE 5.0 or 5.5, so if you're not using one of them, that could be the problem. I have a hunch it is only listed once you update to IE 5.5, but I'm only taking a guess there.

Linche

Hi,
    I just upgraded from IE5.0 (or 5.1?) to 5.5 a week ago and still have the problem. And, I used every "search" option I could find for both "Windows Error Reporting Tools" and "Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tools" and all variations of those two titles. I'm stumped.

ril

Hmmm...

What do you get when you go to Start Menu->Settings->Windows Update?

You should get 2 main choices (currently, of course this will change over time) - check for updates, or download media player 7. Select the former, and it should say it is scanning your computer. Then it should show a list of available updates, one of which should be the Error Reporting Tool.

If it's not listed, try clicking on the button to list installed updates to see if you already installed it.

If not, and it's still not listed, perhaps try downloading IE 5.5 SP1 (caution - it's big despite it saying otherwise), and then see if the error reporting tool is available.

If all this fails, either I'm not understanding something you are doing, MS has a bug with their update site, or your Windows Update info is corrupt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It may also depend on the version of Windows and whether Active Desktop is installed. I run NT without Active Desktop, and I don't even have a Windows Update on the Start-->Settings list.
    Charlotte

ril

I made a big assumption here - and that was a mistake.

I was assuming that we were talking about Win9x, not NT or 2000. I don't know if the Error Reporting Tool is available for NT/2000.

If we are talking about Win9x, what I described should work.

Linche

Ril, my system is Win98, not NT or 2000.
    To everyone: thanks so much for all your help BUT...
    Forget this problem, now I've got a REALLY BIG problem which may or may not be sort of connected to these error messages.
    Suddenly I have like NO available RAM! I kept crashing so I downloaded a trial program called MemTurbo. Right now it's telling me I have 4MB of RAM free! Danger..Alert and all that. If I run the program to clean up I go up to 20 - 40 MB but if I open the next program I'm right back down to 3 - 11MB ram free. Several times a day I am emptying my Temp Internet Files, doing the Disk Clean thing and also using a program called Space Odessey. I'm restarting my computer all the time also. This all is a sudden problem. Oh, and I've gotten rid of every program I don't use on a daily basis AND have unchecked almost everything under msconfig. I also went in my BIOS and checked to make sure it still listed 64MB of RAM. I hate to wipe my whole system but is that the only solution left or do all of you - who sure know more about this than I do - have other things I can try? (PS - I don't have any large games on my system, just some card games and two very simple arcade games.)

ril

You are probably at the point where you should seriously consider reinstalling Windows.

Some people report success with installing directly over an existing installation, but I always prefer starting with a fresh installation.

Whatever you do, backup all data now!

Linche

Hi Ril...I think you are right. I called Gateway and they think I have a virus but they'll only help me if I call the tech support line that they charge for. (They tend to say that every time you call...so much for Free Tech Support!)
    Anyway, what if that's not it? So, I'll spend tonight copying all my files and follow your suggestion. I also want to say that you have been so helpful! Everyone else I've asked - even the computer people at my husband's work have offered me "baby" suggestions like, "There's a file called "Temporary Internet Files" that you empty and....". [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I'm no technical genius but for most problems I know what to do after having PC's for twenty years. (I guess I knew all along that I had to start over but thought someone might have some other ideas I could try...and you did! This site is great and you have been so much help so I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the time you've given to my problem. Thanks again...Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Run your virus checker and if don't have one get one NOW. I have used Norton's AV since the early DOS days and have NOT had a problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Linche

thanks, Dave, but I've done that. My Norton AV runs every week automatically in the middle of the night but I manually ran it just in case. Gateway told me Norton and MacAfee DON'T actually identify all viruses! Said they could send me a disk to run - IF I called the chargable tech support line. I actually DO believe that all this began with a virus and that Norton did not detect it. (And my definitions are automatically updated too!) Makes you wonder what you're paying for when you buy AV programs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast