New Lounger
    Thanks

Subreport Format (A02)

I have a report of personnel that contains a subreport of employers and employment periods. The subreport space is limited and I would like the report to force a new page if the number of records in the subreport exceeds the space allotted. The new page would contain the persons same info from the previous page, but continue with the remaining records in the subreport. I have the repor/subreport created. For a single person with a long list of records in the subreport, a single page prints with only the records that fit in the subreport space. How can I force the new page?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subreport Format (A02)

Have you set the CanGrow property to Yes for the subreport as a control on the main report, and of the section containing the subreport?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting the CanGrow property pushes the bottom to the next page. I am reproducing a fixed-length form and need to force a whole new page when the subform's records exceed the space allotted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand. Could you post an example?
    <UL><LI>Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    <LI>Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    <LI>In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    <LI>Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    <LI>Do a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    <LI>Make a zip file containing the database; it should be below 100KB.
    <LI>Attach the zip file to a reply.[/list]This will enable Loungers to see what you mean.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I can't really send a copy of the database because the site owner (US Gov) frowns on transmitting stuff offsite. Maybe I can better explain. My report is a reproduction of a single page form. The outer or main part of the form contains the employee info (name, ssn) and a lot of other legal gobblty gook that takes up room. A subreport in the middle of the main report has space for four entries of employers with periods of employment. (We're a large site with many subcontract employees.) If an employee has more than four employment periods with the same employer, I need to have subsequent multiples of four employment periods appear on subsequent report pages that are new forms (with same employee info, etc.)

The outer form's data is generated by a summary query that groups the info by employee, and employer. This gives me a page break by employee and employer (same employee with different employers get new pages, and this works fine). (I tried adding a grouping by the start of the employment period, but it generated a separate page for each employment period.) However, if an employee has multiple employment periods with the same employer, the entries beyond the first four are not shown because of space limitations and no new page is generated for the remainder of the employment periods. I have a field in the subreport that gives the number (1,2,3... ) of the employment period. Is there something I can put in the OnOpen event that will force a new page if this number exceeds 4 or is divisible by 4 mod 0, or is there something I can put in the subreport query that would force a new page?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Sorting and Grouping window offers some extra options. If the employment period (1, 2, 3, ...) is available in the main report, try grouping on it and set "Group On" to Interval and "Group Interval" to 4. Specify that you want a new page before the group header in the properties window.