3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Wireless Desktop Pro Issues

Hi,

I've just purchased a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Pro kit (lovely looking, black & silver, natural keyboard) but I am getting some problems with it.

I'm using XP Pro on a 2.6HF machine and sometimes the mouse just drops out (almost seems to go to sleep) by which I mean the cursor disappears and you have to bump the mouse (pick it up, put it down firmly) or waggle it around like crazy to get it back. Occasionally the keyboard seems (and this is just my impression) to drop out letters or get them wrong. The worse case was this morning when I tried to log in ... it took me something like 6 attempts to achieve it and I had to type the passwords very, very slowly visually checking to ensure an equivalent dot appeared in the password box.

Physically the keyboard and mouse are about 60 cm from the receiver which is hanging vertically from a shelf about 25cm above the desk. The mouse is connected via USB, the keyboard via the standard keyboard connector. Another possible complicating factor is that I also have a Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless Joystick.

Obviously (I guess) there is a communication issue and the system is getting confused about what keys are being hit at any given time, some keys being misinterpreted others being missed entirely. So what I want to know (if anyone knows anything about such things) is, is it possible to configure such peripherals for greater sensitivity, perhaps this is an energy saving "feature", would repositioning the base sensor that picks up the signals make the situation better (possibly it doesn't work too well hung vertically on the wall, perhaps it should be placed in front of the monitor as it is possible that the monitor may partially obscure t signal path to keyboard)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Wireless Desktop Pro Issues

Hi Cowboydawg,

Well I figured the position was good being higher than the desk and "visible" to the keybvoard and mouse however, yes, I will try that when I get home :-)

The batteries should be good as t I only took delivery of the unit on Wednesday (two days ago).

Vampyre UK

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried placing the reciever in a better position to see how it responds? Have you checked the batteries in the devices?

Read this Wireless Keyboard or Mouse May Not Respond or May Respond Intermittently

Banned Member
    Thanks

Sorry I added something while you were answering my post. Click on the Link above and I think it will answer your question.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rats!

I'm guessing that implies using two cordless devices can be problematic! And I do run all my power cables etc. through the same channel ... yarrgghhh!

Thanks for your help :-(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rats!

I rather liked the author of the Technet Article's whimsical amusement, suggesting that you turn the receiver upside down or on it's side! He didn't, as far as I can see, make the usual suggestion of "putting it in a bucket of water" ...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[SOLVED]

... well mainly.

Thanks Cowboydawg ... it was, as the article suggested, an issue of wires and visibility of the receiver from keyboard/mouse ... I get very few probs now :-)

Thanks mate