Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Features (Word97)

My laptop has stopped responding to some built in key strokes that require the Control key. For instance Ctrl/right arrow does nothing! Control/Shift/left arrow does nothing! I have to move one letter at a time or stop and pick up the mouse. UGH.

The macros and shortcuts that I've put in myself still work, even those using the control key.

Does anyone know how to restore these shortcuts? It's really awful to work without them.

Also, do you have any idea what caused the problem? That's not nearly as important as the remedy, but knowing the cause to help me not to get into this fix again.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Features (Word97)

I have several questions:

(1) Is this just in Word, or does it occur in all applications?
    (2) Does the problem occur with both Ctrl keys? (Uhm, don't know whether a laptop has two Ctrl keys)
    (3) Have you restarted your laptop since the problem started?
    (4) Could it be a mechanical problem with the Ctrl key?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It happens with all programs.
    I have restarted the computer many times.
    The control keys seem fine in other functions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

And yes, it occurs with BOTH control keys.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The statements "It happens with all programs." and "The control keys seem fine in other functions." seem contradictory. In what functions/applications do the Ctrl keys function correctly?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't think they are contradictory. Control/G give me Go To. That works.
    Control/F give me Find. Ctrl/H is Replace. All those work. Ctrl/Alt/Del still works, just to name a few.

It's just the key strokes that move me around in the line that are gone. Those are the most crucial. I could redo the others easily with macros.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, no idea (I won't insult you by asking if NumLock is on). I hope that someone else can help you.

Since you say that it occurs in all applications, you might consider asking in the Windows forum for the version you use if you don't get an answer here.

Thanks

> It happens with all programs.

Because Word lets you reassign key combinations, it's easy to see how this could accidentally happen in Word. But for other applications, it sounds as though some change might have been made to Windows itself.

Because laptops have to do double-duty with a lot of keys, there might be settings that affect the arrow navigation keys in any number of places: mouse and touchpad control panels are the first that come to mind. You might see others.

If there's nothing in the settings, perhaps there is some nefarious keyboard mapping or logging software running that is interfering with the arrow keys. You could examine the processes running on your computer and/or try out some "spyware" detectors (I have no personal experience with those).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, you can't insult me. That was the problem. Thank you, thank you. It was driving me crazy.

I don't see what that had to do with it, but the problem that has plagued me is gone.