Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

2002 with 2003 (XP Pro)

I have installed the latest Office 2003 beta on a new computer which has four partitions, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to install a copy of my Office 2002, which I would like to have on the machine, and if I am allowed to do it how I can do it without getting conflicts (other than correct file associations). The hard drive on my main desktop has gone belly-up and my data and applications with it so I presume it would be legitimate (I may have to buy a new drive and keep the old one until I can recover what I want), and I have purchased a new portable (Toshiba Satellite Pro) which I've spent weeks setting up, but I put the beta on it because I wasn't sure I could legitimately install 2002. It's now my Number One Computer, and it should have the most reliable software however interesting it is to use the beta, and in this case I'd like to keep both on-board if I can. Tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2002 with 2003 (XP Pro)

Hi Peterg--

First the permissions to install Office: The big division is OEM and non-OEM. If you have a non-OEM ( oem=copy purchased free from the manufacturer that didn't come with your computer)--[oem stands of course for original equipment manufacturer but most of them aren't the real oem they're the first customer], you're allowed two installs--one on a desktop and one on a laptop say or one on the home machine and one on the other machine. I don't know if you have an OEM version or not--you didn't say. The answer is that if it's not OEM, you can go on and install it as far as permissions on the Toshiba no problem, but I want to qualify this because of the 2003 issue in a minute.
    Ref. Office XP FAQ

Second, the issue that "the hard drive on my desktop has gone bellyup, and I plan to possibly recover my data from it"

Let's say since you didn't, that you have OEM Office XP on the "bellyup desktop," and you don't know whether you are gong to spend money and it's expensive usually to recover that data. Before you sign a bellyup certificate, I'd make absolutely sure you reach out and get the best boot recovery person you can because you may be able to boot into Windows and recover everything before you buy a new hard drive or do a parallel install--you may be the guy but you haven't provided specifics there. The lounge may be a lot of help if you go to the OS section and give the circumstances of your belly up--blue screen, error messages, corruptions, hard drive dying.

If it's OEM call Microsoft at the number on their website and explain you have OEM, but it's belly up and you need it for production, and they'll help you activate and get it onto the Toshiba Satellite if that's what you want to do.

Now to the issue of your prime Toshiba Satellite Pro machine with 4 partitions and Office Beta 2003. First off, conventional wisdom and sound advice would be like Jefferson's advice on this thread Post 282918 scroll to bottom and read my post above also.

Jefferson's sound advice says look it's a Beta and you always can possibly expect the unexpected even if 500 people next to you aren't having any glitches or issues so play it safe, and don't mix them. Having said that, I have 4 partitions, and I wanted to play with the Office 2003 Beta2, so I emailed several Word MVP's and they all emailed me back they had XP and 2003 on same hard drive but different partition. So I did it. I'm fine but I'm one case. Here's what I'd advise you.

If you are able to use 2003 fine, and it's not causing you any serious glitches, make your 2003 as good as possible and stable as possible by doing two things and I'm going to make it easy, I'm going to link them. Keep in mind that if you have Office 2003 Beta 2 there is an update, a refresh and there are separate downloads that are new updates that are not part of it. I'm linking you here:
    1) Install the B2TR--Beta 2 Technical Refresh--i.e. the Upgraded Beta 2 2003--it's free here
    2) Install the Recent Add-Ins here for Office 2003, Word 2003, Excel 2003, PowerPoint 2003.

This has been a stable Beta for Microsoft compared with the Betas of Windows XP having used them both for a while. So until Halloween, you can use this if you are comfortable. If so, leave off Office XP on this machine, and make every effort to boot up on your old hard drive or do what you have to do to recover there and get a new hard drive and reinstall Office XP on that machine if you want to still use Office XP now, want to use it after Office 2003 is on store shelves or websites for purchase, sometime probably in late October or November.

The other alternative is to not take Jefferson's good advice and do what I did and custom install Office 2003 into another partitionon your Toshiba if you feel the need to run both. I also have Visio 2002 Pro and Visio Beta 2003 with it's refresh on the same HD, and I'm not having problems with them.

Remember, if and I say if because you didn't say, you have an OEM on the desktop, you can call Microsoft and they'll help you activate it so you can install it again on the Toshiba if that's what you decide to do--if you can use 2003 well though, update and you can use it until it times out on Halloween (October 31 where I live).

If this isn't clear or you have questions, please post up. A good number of people are running the Beta possibly on a different partition or on a different hard drive, and I gave you Jefferson's opinion from last night and what I'd do. Also Jefferson said that the Beta will time out and called that particular event traumatic, but Betas always have a time out and you always have to wipe them clean. I was able to run Windows XP Beta RC2 just fine a month after it timed out and could run it forever, but I got a little tired of seeing a reminder that Billy Gates wanted me to spend some bucks and buy the released versions--it was well worth it just to not see that reminder every few minutes alone.

hth,

SMBP

Thanks

> I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to install a copy of my Office 2002

Microsoft programs almost always include an End-User License Agreement governing their use. This may be difficult to find without firing up the old computer. If you are unable to access the actual legal text applicable to your product, you could take general guidance from the various sections of the Office website:

General FAQ

Q. Can I install my copy of Office XP on my home computer and my laptop?

A. Yes. According to the End User License for Microsoft Software, you can install and use your retail copy of Office XP on a single desktop computer and on your laptop, for your exclusive use. However, this does not apply to Office XP product licenses acquired with the purchase of a computer. These original equipment manufacturer (OEM) licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another desktop computer or laptop.

Preinstalled Suite Licensing Notes
    <UL><LI>Licenses of Office XP may only be installed on that one computer, but you can reinstall it on the same computer as many times as is needed.
    <LI>You may not transfer the Office XP software to another computer.
    <LI>You will be required to activate Office XP. The Activation Wizard will appear when you first use an Office XP program.[/list]Students and Teachers

Q. Are there any licensing differences between Office XP Standard and Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers?

A. Yes. Unlike Office XP Standard, Office XP for Students and Teachers is not available through any licensing programs. It is a noncommercial product intended for educational use. The End User License Agreement (EULA) states that Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers is:
    <UL><LI>For noncommercial, educational use only.
    <LI>For qualified educational users only.
    <LI>Nonupgradable.
    <LI>Nontransferable.
    <LI>Has installation support only.
    <LI>Has a nonperpetual license that is tied to the eligibility of the user.[/list]But... if you can actually get at the EULA on your old computer or in printed documentation, that would be the most reliable thing to check. For example, I found the attached in a "retail" (MSDN) version of Office XP Developer Edition by switching to Outlook 2002 and looking under:

Help > Microsoft Outlook Help F1
    Contents tab
    Microsoft Outlook Help
    End-User License Agreement (Retail)
    End-User License Agreement for Microsoft Software

"Your license may vary"
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your interest. I have Office XP Professional, non-OEM.
    The drive that went belly-up didn

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You have given us some pretty good news--from your Power Quest KB numbered errors you can probably fix your mistakes by running the best, most comprehensive chkdsk--chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. One wonders why the people in Tech Support at PQ who make their living on these errors in their day jobs, didn't advise you that this is one of the most likely easy moves to fix you, knowing you have a Windows XP Pro machine.

Here's how I think you can get chkdsk/r run from the Recovery Console--seeing that you have an XP Pro Machine--giving the OS helps get help a great deal whatever the problem--I know that much at least (which I don't believe will hurt you at all, and may help you--but whether to full recovery I don't know):

1) Try To Get Back To Windows and Use System Restore: by booting into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt if you can-- Here's How:

Tap the F8 Key to Get into Safe Mode and Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt As Your Option

304449: HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP
    315222: A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

2) Run chkdsk / from the Recovery Console if you can't System Restore from Safe Mode With the Command Prompt by Booting to the Recovery Console with Your XP CD:

Boot from the Win XP CD into Recovery Console or boot into it if you have had the foresight to load the Recovery Console onto your hard drive as a boot option. When you see Windows next on that machine, one of the first things I'd do is to go to the run box and type:

"d:i386winnt32.exe cmdcons" where d is the drive letter of your CD drive. This is for later when you get back to Windows for the future. To fix the problem now, use the RC from the CD. Two things are going for you here--most people don't understand that running chkdsk /r from the RC is the most powerful chkdsk you can run, and it implies (includes the switches "p" and "f" from the RC. You can also use the RC to fix your bootfile with the command bootcfg, fix the mbr if need be with the fixmbr command, and fix the partition boot sector with fixboot. You can also copy files. First thing I'd run once in the RC would be Chkdsk /r.

That said, though you can use the Recovery Console, because it is made for just purpose when you can't reach Windows. It operates on Windows, outside of Windows with 13 commands from dos, and others of its own. Once in you can type help and see the list of commands there, and here is all the information you need to know how to do this:

Lounge XP Thread: MFT Corrupt (XP) Post 283049 9 August, 2003

Lounge 2000 Thread: Is Recovery Console Dos Post 283125 10 August 2003

Recovery Console in XP from Kelly's XP

307654: How To Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

314058: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Installing the Recovery Console in XP

312149: How To Enable the Administrator to Log Onto the Recovery Console

Good luck--hth,

SMBP

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You have certainly given me hope, and I'm now buried in printouts to read through. The PowerQuest people did advise me to take the course you have suggested, but I haven't had any luck with it. I may not have given it enough time, since it appeared that nothing was happening.
    I have also inadvertently misled you in another respect: the original question was about a machine with XP Pro, but the machine with the drive problem has XP Home. I do, however, have a (120-day trial) XP Pro installation CD, if there's any way I can use that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peterg--the steps I told you to take are not affected basically by whether youhave Home or Pro. They both have equal Recovery Console capability on their CD's. Pro has some nuances in the MMC or as to Group Policy with respect to passwords and the RC.

The good news in your case about Home, is that you have easy access to the Recovery Console and if you didn't know about it, you haven't set a password for it. Boot into the Recovery Console using the CD--I wanted to give you enough to get you back to normal and keep the word count down which is why I used all the KB's.

I'm trying to get you into the Recovery Console, so that you can run a chkdsk/r and see if that will fix your sectors and the errors be generated. However, if you can boot into safe mode with a dos prompt, see if you can get system restore up first and restore to a point before you used PM. System Restore defaults to 90 days of restore points in XP Home, Pro, 64 bit any flavor of XP. These are quick steps. Try to get to safe mode with a dos prompt--just put in the command of the KB--if you're lucky, you'll get the gui system restore and you can go from there.

If you can't for some reason F8 into that black and white screen that gives you a choice between Safe Mode, Safe Mode with a Command Prompt, and Last Known Good Configuration, then go to booting from the CD to the Recovery Console and running "chkdsk /r" as a command.

If you have any questions in doing either of these, put them up and someone will help. Don't worry about any KB or directions to install the RC on your hard drive--those aren't for this problem now--they are for later.

You can do just fine with XP Home--won't make a difference in either of these.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peterg--

See this post--it may help you context the 3 types of lifeline you have to get to Windows using the F8 key to get to the Windows Advanced Options Screen:

Lounge Thread XP: Could Not Start Message XP Posts 284723 and 284948 14 August 2003.

How are you making out?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Peterg--

How did you make out? I hope okay.

SMBP