New Lounger
    Thanks

MFT Corrupt (XP)

I am getting a constantly reoccurring error message that says my C:$MFT file/folder is corrupt. Run chkdsk.
    I have and nothi9ng changes.
    HELP!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MFT Corrupt (XP)

When you say that you've run CHKDSK have you put the parameter /F (and /V /R for good measure)? It will probably say it can't run now, but asks if it can run at boot time. Set aside a few hours (just in case), and say "Yes", and do a Shutdown/Restart.

If there are no nasty error messages, just run CHKDSK again (no parameters), and see what the results are.
    Check if you have any bad sectors.

If you get lots of what look like SERIOUS error messages from the CHKDSK /F /V /R, then it's probably New Hard Disk Time.

If you get many bad sectors from the second CHKDSK, then it would be advisable to get a new hard disk. Bad sectors = bad news. Maybe not immediately, but possibly/probably eventually.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

You can run chkdsk with as many switches as you want form as many places as you want, but after reading long and hard and talking to disk experts on this, I have found the best help will come from running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console--one of the command line interfaces if you aren't familiar with it. It implies the /f switch and is the most comprehensive and will be most effective from the Recovery Console. Before using the RC, back up, and set a restore point. Don't let that stop you from running it--Chkdsk /r from the RC can solve a big problem, but it's not/it's not/it's not going to hurt you.

This will tell you how to install the RC and commands on it. So that it won't jam you up on a password, follow the directions to be able to bypass the password. I'm not sure if you are running XP Home or Pro--you have access to group policy to be able to bypass the password in Pro, but the RC is in both XP Home and XP Pro, and for those who have Home, you can do a regedit shown below to bypass the Administrative password, and if you don't and you need to get in, you're going to be way out of luck.

Why do you want to instale the RC as a boot menu option anyway? Because if you get in a jam and can't boot to Windows, you can use it to run commands that may make major repairs for example write a new boot sector or fix one of the major components of the Windows bootstrap mechanism, the MBR.[/b]

Installing the Recovery Console in XP
    Description and Use of the RC from Kelly's XP

You also may want to defrag the MFT which you can easily do by downloading Diskeeper 7.0. You can do it in XP without one of the better defraggers like Diskeeper or Perfect Disk, but it's a much longer process than simply running chkdsk and it's messy to say the least.

Download Full Diskeeper 7.0 and Use 30 Days to defrag the MFT

I respect John alluding to hours to run chkdsk, and I don't know the composition of other hard drives, but I have run all the switches all the ways, and it has never taken me more than a matter of minutes, certainly not more than 30 on an 80GB drive with a large number of applications and data.

hth,

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have never used the RC but I went ahead and installed it just in case and disabled the Password thing. I read all the info. It was very interesting and very informative. Thanks SMBP. Hope I don't ever need it, but you never know. Always good to be safe then sorry.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would think you would love what the Recovery Console has the power to do considering your great interest and your ability to build machines--one of your customers or friends might need it someday. The whole point of it is, of course, to be able to get important repairs made or files copied when you Windows isn't running or you can't run it--it's a limited function command console. By installing it, you still have it even if you can't boot off the CD as a kind of dos trouble-shooting environment. There are a number of KB's on it--I just took Kelly's write up because she does a great job with everything. I needed it one day, and went nuts when I coudn't get in. I kept banging the desk and telling it to get out of the way and give me the password--it was my computer. I had been told if you haven't set a password, you just hit "enter" and many threads say that like this one, but it's just not the case. Enter won't get you in many times if not all--at least not on any machine I've used it on.

XP Recovery Console Password

I got thrown by the question "Which Windows System would you like to log onto?" It wants the answer "1 or whatever number corresponds to the particular Windows install you are trying to fix"[/i] or it'll kick you to the curb back to trying to boot. It has a limited set of lucky number of 13 dos commands, and it's own special commands.

One of the really beneficial uses of it when you're healthy, or when you need to fix a disc is to run chkdsk /r from it. Many of the tech support people who specialize in disks and defrag I know insist chkdsk has the most power and potential to do the best job for you from there, although I'm not able to come up with a number of papers or multi-centered studies. I remember about the time Bruce had a thread having to do with dirty bits and fsutil dirty queries and I think about that time it fixed Bruce or using fsutil did, and I know I had a similar problem and running chkdsk from the RC fixed me when it wouldn't from the gui or the command line on reboot.

Use the Recovery Console: Current Issue of PC Magazine, August 19, 2003
    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    Screen Shots Win 2000 and XP Recovery Console
    Technet's Recovery Console Overview
    Ryan Smith on the Windows Recovery Console

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

CBD--

One useful thing I forgot to mention, and I'm taking this from a Windows .net Magazine article in the May 2003 issue on the Recovery Console by Terry Dean, a reader.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

"

Readers
    InstantDoc #38546
    May 2003

To get the most out of Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows 2000's Recovery Console (RC), you need to use the Group Policy Editor (GPE--i.e., gpedit.msc) or Local Security Policy (i.e., secpol.msc) to enable the option Recovery Console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders. If you don't enable this option before trying to use the RC, your disaster-recovery choices will be limited. For more information about the option, see the Microsoft article "HOW TO: Copy Files from Recovery Console to Removable Media" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240831).

XP Home Edition doesn't have gpedit.msc or secpol.msc. However, you can edit the registry to enable the policy in XP Home. Start regedit and navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsNTCurren tVersionSetupRecoveryConsole registry subkey. Double-click SetCommand and set the value to 1. Close the registry editor, then restart the computer. Next, log on as Administrator and start the system in the RC.

Finally, follow the instructions in the JSI FAQ 2615, "The SET command in the Windows 2000 Recovery Console" (http://www.jsiinc.com/subf/tip2600/rh2615.htm), to configure four environment variables that expand the RC's functionality. You will then have complete access to all the drives and folders on your XP or Win2K system for disaster recovery."

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

CBD--

Something else I meant to mention you're going to pick up on--on a Windows XP Home machine, out of the box no password is required and a user has to force a password. So if there hasn't be a password imposed, and you waltz by a Home machine, you have powerful instant access--and you have that instant access at the Administrator level.

SMBP