Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open DB on home network (XP & 2000)

I've built a simple database on one of two computers on my home network. Even though I've saved the file to a folder marked as "shared," I can't open it from the second computer.

Here's my setup: I built the DB on Computer #1 (WinXP, Office 2000). Computer #2 (WinXP, Office XP) links to #1 via a LinkSys router, and both computers share an Internet connection via cable modem. I've filed the DB within "Shared documents on Computer 1," and I've successfully opened many other files (Access and non-Access files) from Computer #2. For example, just now I successfully opened a recipe database that's stored in the same folder. Yet when I try to open the DB in question, I get the familiar message that says the database is already opened exclusively by another user (not true--it's not open at all) or "you need permission to view its data." I don't know what I've done differently. What should I look for?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't open DB on home network (XP & 2000)

Have you secured this database?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I gotta confess that you've touched on a topic that I'm not well versed on. I do understand the concept, but no, I don't recall having done anything about securing this DB.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if

a) You compact and repair the database (Tools | Database Utilities), then try to open it from the other PC
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] You make a copy of the database within the same folder and try to open the copy from the other PC
    c) You create a new database and import all objects from the problem database, then try to open the new databse from the other database

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You might try right-clicking on that file in Windows explorer, select Properties, then click the Read-only attribute. Close the pop-up, then do the same thing again, this time clearing the read-only attribute. This worked for me recently, but it may not be for exactly the same error messages you are getting.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again, Hans! Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I've been away from this project for a few days.

a) Compact and Repair seems to have had no effect.
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] I made a copy of the database within the same folder, and yes, I can open it...but it's "Read only." I tried all the possibilities under the "Open" button (Open, Open Exclusive, etc., etc.), but I get nothing but read-only.
    c) I created a new DB in a different folder and imported all the objects. Same as b above: Read only. Hey, at least I can open it, but I'm stumped by the Read only stuff.

Special note to Mark Liquorman: I tried your suggestion (checked "Read only" in the Properties sheet, close the properties sheet, reopened it and unchecked Read only). Result: No change. In fact, when I tried this technique, I got an error message saying I had no business doing it

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think your problem probably lies with file permissions on your XP systems, assuming that you are running NTFS file systems on one or both. The user you log in with must have full read and write permissions on both the .mdb file and the folder in which it resides.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked to see if an ldb file exists for the culprit db? Perhaps the ldb file did not get deleted the last time the mdb file was opened on computer 1.

HTH.
    Carol W.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Hans: It looks as though I've fixed the problem, although I can't say with absolute certainty what I did that fixed it. I can say, however, that one of your recommendations seems to have done the job, along with a tip from Wendell.

In my previous post, I mentioned that I had followed your suggestion and created two new versions of the database. One new version was simply a copy that I put in the same folder. However, that alone did not seem to solve the problem. So I took Wendell's advice and just started playing around with the permissions. I still haven't gotten the original version of the DB to work on Computer #2, but the copy does work.

My sincere thanks to you, Hans, and to Wendell and everybody else who offered their advice. You folks are the best!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell: Thank you very much for your advice. Between you and Hans, I've got a copy that works on both computers. (See my latest reply to Hans.)