Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Cloning all Word settings for a user (any, but 2002 preferred)

This must have been asked before, but is it possible to clone ALL the Word settings in a user profile on XP, those in NORMAL.DOT, from Tools => Options, Autocorrect, Default Language, and so on, so that they can be copied to another userid, to be able to use Word with all the settings of the first user?

Many thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Cloning all Word settings for a user (any, but 2002 preferred)

In the Office Resource Kit there is a "profile wizard" that can, to some extent, do this. But it also swallows up whole .pst files full of mail, so such profiles work best with the same user or a newly set up user rather than between different users.

There also are a number of PC "migration" products on the market that should target Office settings. These include the home-user oriented "Aloha Bob" products and the more corporate oriented PT Pro from Tranxition.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In the Microsoft Office Tools there is a "Save My Settings" Wizard, but that saves Office settings for the whole computer, and doesn't appear to allow backup or restoration by user profile... If it did, that would probably solve my problem...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although far from a complete solution, How can I import and export all my AutoCorrect entries, so they can be transferred to another machine? on the Word MVP site may be useful.

Thanks

Different wizard. See Office XP Resource Kit > Toolbox > Tools > Office Profile Wizard for info and download.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans/Jefferson

I've downloaded both of these utilities (!) and will have a bash at them... Thanks!

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Here's a late response (I just stumbled onto this thread doing a "Save My Settings" search), in case my "solution" is too simpleminded to have occurred to you (or other loungers that may be interested).

Because of the way Word "over-records" (so to speak) macros involving many of the Word dialogs, you can quickly create a macro (or small collection of macros, if you prefer) to replicate most of a user's settings. For example, start recording, click on Tools-->Options, don't change a single setting but make a point of clicking once on each of the subject tabs (View, General, Edit, etc.), and then stop recording. You have just recorded a macro that, if you run it on another machine, will duplicate all of the Option settings from the first machine. By doing this with just a handful of dialogs (Page Setup, Print, Language, AutoCorrect Options, Options, perhaps a few more), I believe you'll end up covering the vast majority of the settings that won't come over by also copying Normal.dot (and any other templates you want to preserve) to the 2nd machine.

These kinds of macros also serve double as settings documenters, if you have any need or use for a written record of your settings as they exist at any time (which I don't think you get using the Save My Settings wizard).