Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying 'error' after login (6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920))

Hi. I'm able to successfully login to OE, and then send/receive E-mail. However, an annoying OE error box always pops up after login stating:

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'HighStream', Server: 'pop3.highstream.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Invalid userid/password', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I'm using the password format recommended by my ISP's tech support department. If I *don't *enter the password exactly as I do, then not only will I get the same error box, but also I really won't be able to connect to the mail server either.

Any help will be much appreciated in getting rid of this annoyance.

Thanks

Re: Annoying 'error' after login (6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920))

This only happens once and then subsequent receive and send are fine??

Are you using any "proxy" mail scanners (either antivirus or antispam)? These usually reformat your POP server information to point to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and change the layout of your username and password fields. The exact format will vary depending on the requirements of the scanner.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi HopTurn--

Are you by any chance using a software firewall like Norton or Zone-Alarm and is Comcast by any chance your ISP? This is a different but similar error message to some conflicts they have been having with OE that generate server error logging messages.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, subsequent send/receive are OK.

There is no proxy server. The laptop came with a trial version of Norton AV, but it expired months ago. I don't have any other AV software installed, nor antispam software.

That was an intelligently possible explanation though. Thanks anyway.

Lounger
    Thanks

No 3rd party firewall; only the 'Internet Connection Firewall' that comes with XP Home, which I simply checked 'on' (no other configuration settings).

I'm using HighStream dial-up ISP.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried unchecking XP's 'Internet Connection Firewall'. Then I disconnected from the Internet, then reconnected, then reopened OE. Still having the same problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate the info. A number of server connect problems have come up with firewalls lately if you look at some of the other threads, and a number of the error messages unfortunately for many OE problems can apply to several problems at times, making them more difficult to narrow down or finger print. Later with time will do my best to search this one out. I wouldn't ascribe of course every OE mail server error to a firewall, but certain error numbers have matched KB's at Symantec and Zone Labs in the recent past. Your trying your native XP firewall on and off and knowing what your firewall is and your ISP and posting it up helps me look in other directions.

I'll hit some of the OE error MVP sites and groups to go after it later.

Thanks,

SMBP