New Lounger
    Thanks

Contact Backup (2000)

Running Win XP. What is the quickest easiest way to back-up "contacts" (address book if you will) ? I have some info MS KB #196492 but it's really not clear to me. Thanks a lot....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contact Backup (2000)

Easiest is probably to Export the Contacts Folder to a PST, or if you prefer, to an Access or Excel file. From the File menu select Import/Export, and the Wizard pretty much walks you through the steps, including selecting which Folders to Export.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you explain what part of the explanation in the MSKB article is not clear?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, It states a location (C:WindowsApplicationDataMicrosoftOutlookOutlook.p st) where the Outlook folder is located, but in XP it's diferrent. I assume that was for an earlier ver of the OS. I was attempting to find it and attempt to copy from it's home.

Thanks JohnBF. I saw that, but wasn't sure. I use nothing but OE and my wife was doing some back-up and I just wasn't sure. Outlook is much more complicated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks JohnBF. I saw that, but wasn't sure. I use nothing but OE and my wife was doing some back-up and I just wasn't sure. Outlook is much more complicated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On my system (Windows XP Home, Outlook 2002), the location of Outlook.pst is Cocuments and Settings<HansV>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook, but that is only relevant if you want to make a backup of your entire Outlook Personal Folder file.

If you want to make a backup of your Contacts folder, follow the steps in the part titled "Exporting Personal Folder Data":
    1. <LI>On the File menu, click Import And Export.
      <LI>Click Export To File, and then click Next.
      <LI>In Create a file of type click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next. (If you like, you can export to another filte type, for instance a text file or an Excel spreadsheet. For backup purposes, Personal Folder is the best choice - HansV)
      <LI>In Select the folder to export from, click the folder you want to export (in your case, the Contacts folder - HansV). Click to select Include Subfolders if it applies (that is, if you have subfolders in your Contacts folder - HansV), and then click Next.
      <LI>In Save exported file as, click Browse to select the location of the PST to receive the data you are exporting. Or, type the path and file name, and then click Finish. (You can accept the location and name suggested by Outlook, or you can specify another location and/or name)
    The next section in the article, titled "Importing Personal Folder Data", describes how you can restore the backup data.