2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Toolbars Etc. (Excel 2000 - XP Home)

I am having trouble getting Excel to save my tool bars and macros.
    Specificly, I made a custion tool bar and inserted a button with a macro on the existing "Standard" tool bar. These worked fine while that sheet was open. However when I reopened Excel the next time the changes were gone. How can I save these changes?

I thought I had heard that the way to do this was to delete the "Personal.xls" file from the Xlstart folder. I tried but that did not work. I searched but no new personal file was created. I that search I also find that I have two XLSTART folders on in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeXLStart
    and another at Cocuments and SettingsHaroldApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART.

Which of these is the active folder?

Can you direct me to a source that will explain these problems for me? The Excel help file was of no help!
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving Toolbars Etc. (Excel 2000 - XP Home)

Personal.xls is meant to store macros that should be available whenever you work with Excel. Its default location in Windows XP is Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART. If you move or delete Personal.xls, it won't be recreated until you create or record a new macro and specify that it should be stored in your personal macro workbook.

Custom toolbars and customizations to built-in toolbars are stored in a file with extension .xlb; for Excel 2000 it is probably named Excel9.xlb, in Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcel. If customizations won't "stick", this file may have become corrupt. Try moving it to another folder; it should be recreated automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Saving Toolbars Etc. (Excel 2000 - XP Home)

Thanks for your input.
    I was getting confused because I had a sheet named Personal in the Cocuments and SettingsHaroldApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART directory. Which I had copied in order to get some prior macros. It is rather confusing to have to similar directories that perform overlaping functions.
    That file was oppening when Excel started up.

BTW in my system the toolbar file is just named "Excel.xlb" without the 9. I know howevr, that a prior version did include a number.

Tanks for your help!
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2