3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel and XML (2000)

Hi

I am working with Excel and XML, I can create a XML file with the appropriate tokens from an Excel macro no problem and I can read it back in, the data comes in a single lines, basically the same appearance as when you see it on that web browser. My problem is when I read an XML file produced from another system the data comes in on great long string which makes it difficult to read in Excel, any formating clues to break this up apart from looking at it character by character.

Thanks

Mike

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel and XML (2000)

Forgive me if I have missed a subtlety in your question.

XML is nomally broken up into groups of:
    <tag> content </tag>

Nested content reads:
    <nest>
    <tag> content </tag>
    </nest>

Thus, by looking for < (less than) and > (greater than) symbols, as well as forward slashes, you should be able to parse the strings in the file.

XML is much stricter than HTML and will not display unless each and every opening tag and closing tag are properly matched. The only exception is the file header - which can read something like - (note the paired question marks):
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

You are correct, my issue is that we receive a file presented as XML, looks like XML in the browser but when we try to read it in Excel it is one long string.

If I write an XML file and then read it back in Excel it is lots of records, basically as you see it in the browser it comes into Excel, I was just wondering if anybody had come across this .

Regards

Mike

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just not exactly clear as to what you are trying to achieve.

What I was attempting to explain was what you could work with in order to extract data from an XML document. Do you have a specification of what data you are attempting to access?
    Gre