3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CAN'T OPEN EXCEL (xl2000 sp1)

All of a sudden I cant open any excel documents. I have made snapshots of the error msgs in the attached zip file. The middle snapshot is the first msg followed by the top view when I opened C++ for debugging then the details from C++

I have tried reinstalling the original excel from the the original disk but cant even get into the installer.
    Any help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CAN'T OPEN EXCEL (xl2000 sp1)

How do I paste a snapshot directly into this post?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Use Microsoft Paint or Microsoft Photo Editor or some other program to save your screenshot as a graphics file. Jpg and png usually work best. Then attach the graphics file just the way you attached a zip file. It will be displayed at the bottom of the post.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I'm now getting error msg when I try to open WORD. Though it does open after the erro msg.
    I've attached a revised set of error msgs in sequence

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying that you are not able to uninstall Excel?
    Gre

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does this behavior persist after restarting your PC? If so, it would seem you either have a problem with your RAM (defective memory chip?), or something is seriously wrong in your system.

What happens if you select Start | Run..., type SFC /scannow and press Enter?
    What happens if you run Detect and Repair from the Help menu in Word or Excel?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have Rebooted, Remove/reinstalled Windows 2000 Removed/Reinstalled Office 2000

When I try to open Word I get the msg: "Error: This Document could not be registered ......C:......Word Code Cleaner.dot)" Then WORD opens. (A week ago I downloaded a VBA Code cleaner add-in and tried it but it failed. I don't think I removed if from my machine but I believe I turned off the add-in. I'm suspicioius that it may have been corrupted.

When I try to open xl I get the msg: EXCEL.EXE Application Error The instructions at 0x30050bf9 referenced memory at 0x000000a8 The memory could not be read. Excel fails to open and Im back to the desktop

When I go to the control panel and click on Search I am immediately returned to the desktop without any thing happening.

When I do Control Panel | Add & Remove Programs the left half of the dialog shows with the right half white.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am very sorry, I am out of my depth here. This seems to be far more fundamental than a Word or Excel error. My instinct says that you should start with a clean slate, but this is not my field, so you might wait for other opinions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Based on what you are reporting, I strongly recommend you back up ALL your data, preferences, default settings (Normal.dot, Excel.xlb, outcmd.dat, *.rwz, outlook.pst etc, etc) and anything else, reformat your hard drive and go for a clean install. From what you are reporting, you are running a risk of not being able to boot properly the next time you start up your machine. HTH
    Gre