Thread: Mystery address

Lounger
    Thanks

Mystery address

Sending a msg in Outlook 2000, wrote a last name and got an email address for some other person with the same last name as my friend. The new person is not contained in my Contacts list - anywhere. I don't use any other email clients. Where has this address come from? How do I get rid of her?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mystery address

This can happen when you have "save address when replying" checked. It appears that you replied to a message that this person sent to you and they are now in your address book.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

First, I don't have that box checked. I am familiar with this option and have never chosen to select it.

Second, this is NOT a case of an address appearing in Contacts that's unfamiliar. There is no address or listing for this person in my contacts list - not before, during, or after the several tests in which Outlook has placed this "ghost address" on my emails.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

did you ever reply to that person? if so, rename the *.nick file and see if the address shows up. normally, only addresses resolved from contacts should be in the nick file, but something could have gotten messed up.

Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently I once replied to a group email on which she was a fellow addressee. It still shouldn't have "stuck" since I don't automatically keep addresses to which I reply. But that's the only point of entry; I have had no individual correspondence at all with her.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, it shouldn't have, but apparently it did.

close outlook, rename the *.nick file for your account. Then test it, see if the name that resolved to this other person resolves correctly.