2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NK2 File (Outlook XP)

I was changing where my husband's outlook data files are stored, renamed and moved his Outlook.pst file to MyOutlook.pst and put it in his MyDocuments folder since this is what he regularly backs up. However, at some point the file extension changed to NK2 and now Outlook will not recognize this as a data file.

Help! This is all of his business e-mail and contacts and...I will be in the dog house if I can't fix this.

Jeanie

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NK2 File (Outlook XP)

The NK2 file is where the abbreviations/nicknames for Outlook addressees are stored. It is very unlikely that such a file would be anywhere near the same size as a PST - particularly of the size you are mentioning. I would suggest that you make a search of the hard drive for the PST file. On the basis that you're running Windows XP, make sure the option for Hidden Files and Folders is checked. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I still think the file was corrupted somehow. The NK2 file is the same size the PST file was and the PST file just disappeared. I did just reset it to use the earlier PST so he only lost a few e-mail messages. Somehow, that file was in a sub-subfolder, i.e., application dataMicrosoftOutlookMicrosoftOutlook! Anyway, it is time for him to do a back up and re-install things.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

???? The PST file should be in something like Cocuments and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook and the NK2 file should be in something like Cocuments and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftOutlook. Sounds like some entire folders have been copied inadvertently.
    Gre