Lounger
    Thanks

Settings file? (unk)

One of my users keeps setting bizarre fonts and text size. The next user then complains to me.

How can I "freeze" text settings and fonts? I'm thinking if I just knew what the "settings" file is, I can make it Read Only...

What say you?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Settings file? (unk)

There is no "settings file" in the traditional sense for Internet Explorer - the settings are stored in the user's Registry, under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet Explorer. In a corporate networked environment, you may be able to allow read-only access to this part of the Registry...

unk? Does that have anything to do with <!profile=unkamunka>unkamunka<!/profile>?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What you could do is to set IE fonts the way you want. Then, if you have some experience with the registry, open regedit.exe & navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerInternationalScripts3

Then, with the key selected, choose Registry/Export Registry File... Then save this reg file with a name like ResetFont.reg, or anything you want, as long as it has a reg extension. Then after this one person gets through playing around with the font settings, you can double click the reg file & return IE back to "normal".
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

What if I were to then place that .reg file in the startup folder? Would that reset the settings to "normal" each time the computer boots?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think so, but I haven't tried it. You would need something like a shortcut to a batch file. I'm not knowledgeable enough about DOS to do that...especially since you have to account for a warning message asking you if you want to merge. Hopefully, someone knows how to run it automatically.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try looking at <post#=284529>post 284529</post#> to get an idea of how to use a script reset the registry at start up. You would probably need to make this kind of script part of the target user's logon script.
    Gre