Thanks

Fix broken text (XP)

On the Tools menu on my wife's Word XP is a feature called Fix Broken Text... But when I try to use it, there is no Help button in the dialog box that comes up, and there seems to be nothing in the Word Help generally to explain this feature. How do we use it? And why does MS put features in that it doesn't document in the %#@!* Help? If you get the wretched Office assistant up, it asks what do you want to do, and you say 'Fix Broken Text' but it then doesn't come up with anything helpful. If you untick the box for the Office assistant - if it were my copy of Word I would kill the wretch off permanently! - and search through the contents there still doesn't seem to be anything about it.

Ian

Thanks

Re: Fix broken text (XP)

I see what you mean... This does not appear on my menu when I have a document open. Does it appear when an e-mail message is open in Word? If so, my guess would be that it's the equivalent of the Outlook editor's feature to "reunite" (unwrap) lines that were broken to satisfy Internet transport rules. But it's only a guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 12-Aug-03 14:32. )</P>Where do you find this "Fix Broken Text"? It is NOT on any of my machines.
    Better yet, post a screen shot of where you see it.

Found the information:
    See http://www.office.microsoft.com/downloads/...fontrepair.aspx "Word 2000 Fix: Font Repair Macro
    In many Eastern European countries, when documents created in Word 95 or earlier were opened into Word 2000, text within the document sometimes did not display or print correctly. Due to font- and character-mapping issues, some fonts displayed and printed certain characters as boxes instead of the correct characters. Note that this rarely happened to documents created in the US English versions of Word. "

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jefferson

It appears on my machine (Word 10.2627.2625) but is inactive when no documents are open. Maybe it is not active in the American version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

It's as shown in Andrew's screen shot below. But what does it do? My wife had a document that had got corrupted (mainly turned into empty boxes and Japanese or Chinese looking characters) and I wondered if this might help - though it didn't seem to. I also tried 'recover text from any file', to no avail. (BTW we are in the UK, and my wife has the UK student and teacher version of Office XP.)

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think DaveA has hit the nail on the head, see his reply above and also WD2000: Incorrect Characters Appear When You Open Document in Earlier Eastern European Version of Word. Apparently, there was a downloadable fix for Word 2000 that has been built into Word 2002. As the KB article indicates, the fix is for problems with documents created in eastern European versions of Word before Word 2000; these problems are unlikely to occur with documents created in an English language version of Word.

Thanks

OK, so it looks as though you have to know what language the document was created in (or thinks it was created in).

Ian