Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Printer stops cable modem

Here's a real wierd one. A friend is running W98 with a cable modem and an HP Inkjet printer on the parallel port. When he prints anythng, the cable modem disconnects from the internet and he has to reboot to get it connected again. I can only assume that printing somehow has an effect on the NIC card, but exactly how/why I don't know.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might create this problem. It certainly has me stumped.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer stops cable modem

Hi Chuck,
    I don't know much about cable modems but your mention of the NIC made me think that maybe there could be a hardware interrrupt (IRQ) conflict between the printer/port and the NIC? I know that normally LPTs use IRQs 7 & 5 and an NIC uses IRQ 10 (I think). Also, is the system set up so that the network software is releasing the printer after a print job? That's all I can contribute, but I'm sure a more 'network-savvy' person will jump in!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer stops cable modem

Hi Tony,

I've come to much the same conclusion regarding a conflict somewhere. However, I think I've convinced my friend to upgrade to Windows XP and perform a clean install, as he has other problems. Hopefully, this will result in eliminating any conflicts with the NIC.