New Lounger
    Thanks

Design Mode (Word 2000)

I created a Word document with some controls (radio button, check boxes). Now every time I open the document it opens in "Design Mode" and so the Radio Buttons don't work unless I click on the Design Mode button to toggle it off. Is there any way to get the document to not open in "Design Mode" and so allow users to enter data.

thanx

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Design Mode (Word 2000)

Since the radio button etc. are VBA components, Word considers the document to contain macros (even if you didn't actually write code behind the controls). Do you have macro security set to High? (Macro Security in the Security tab of Tools | Options...)? If so, Word will disable the VBA components by switching to design mode. Set macro security to Medium; then the user will be promptedif (s)he wants to enable macros. I don't recommend setting it to Low. Alternatively, get a digital signature for your document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:

Thanx for ur reply. I am unable to see the security tab in Tools|Options. This is a work installed Word 2000 (on the local machine, I think), so is the security disabled. Is there any other option. I am in quite a fix as I have created this document. I was thinking of converting it to a html page via word.
    vatman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you set the security level in Tools | Macro | Security...?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:

Changing it in Macro|Security to anything other than "High" worked. The issue is that I will be sending this document to users and don't want to have them mess with their macro settings. Any thoughts from your end would be appreciated. Once again thanx for your very timely help.

vatman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is your document a kind of form? If so, you might consider using elements from the Forms toolbar. They don't count as macro elements, but they will only work, however, if you protect the document for forms, and the only controls available are text box, check box and drop down list, there is no radio button.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I ultimately decided to save the document as a ".rtf" file and was able to post it to the web and have viewers look at it without going into the "design" mode.

thanx
    srivaths