Star Lounger
    Thanks

Venn diagram coloring (PP2000)

I'm trying to make a standard Venn (Boolean) diagram with 3 overlapping circles of different colors (see attached file). I used the semi-transparent option to see all 3 circles and the overlapping areas. However, I'd like to have the overlapping areas in different colors than the main circles. How can I do this?

Thanks for the help.

Don.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Venn diagram coloring (PP2000)

Don:

I don't know of a way that PowerPoint is going to let you separate the individual sections for your Venn diagram and let you "fill" them with a color. You could use a low tech approach by drawing your diagram in a paint program like MS Paint. To accomplish this in Paint, first click on Image and deselect Draw Opaque. Now draw a circle (you'll need to eyeball it for size), create two copies of the original circle and move each one separately to overlap as needed. You should then be able to see all the individual sections of the diagram. Now you can use the fill tool to apply the color of your choice. Once done, you can either save the image as a file and insert it in your PowerPoint presentation, or simple copy and paste it.

This is not an elegant solution and I, too, would like to know if there is a direct way in PowerPoint to accomplish this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spence:

That's what I wound up doing, but it sure would be nice if Powerpoint would let you do it so that you could do things like create builds of each segment, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that you can do it in PowerPoint, but you can do it in Photoshop Elements. This is just a rough attempt without any real transparency, but you could make it look really nice given a few minutes.

Terry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just as an FYI, PPT 2002 (aka PPT XP) has better Venn diagram coloring, so you wouldn't have to resort to an image editor if you're using that version.