2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HD light flashing -- virus?

I have recently reinstalled the OS for the third time on my desktop PC (AMD K6-III 400 CPU, DFI MB). First I installed W98 and then used it to install W2K Pro. in another partition. in *both* OSes, the HD light flashes at a regular interval, 2 to 3 seconds, with no reason to do so. I have killed Find fast in Office 97 (installed only in W98) and used the Close Program dialog box to shut down everything that is not essential. Light still flashes, and gives me an uneasy feeling.

Especially after the problems I have had twice already with this machine running W98 only: a progressive deterioration in performance, ending up with extremely long time for disk operations, such that the mouse cursor would "stick" as I moved it across the screen, and sometimes I would click, and the computer would not respond, or I would type and lose keystrokes, because the computer was too busy twiddling its thumbs. Other symptoms: changes in icons in Windows Explorer (for example, Word documents with PDF icons.); loss of functions (can't paste text from Word into FrontPage -- converter no longer works) etc. Until the recent OS reinstallation, I did have one hardware problem: In 80-wire IDE cable with the master and slave drives exchanged. This set the drives back to PIO mode or MS-DOS compatibility, though they still ran. That probably exacerbated the drive slowness, but I doubt that it was at the root of the decline in performance.

A completely updated copy of McAfee VirusScan tells me that my hard drives are completely clean, also the floppy I used to start the computer for the installation. Can anyone please help me figure out the problem, and how to solve it? Is it possible that VirusScan would fail to find an MBR virus, Having been installed after the OS? I want to keep this machine healthy and be able to use it at its intended level of performance...thanks.

Thanks

Re: HD light flashing -- virus?

John,

How much RAM do you have?
    Have you checked the size of your page file? Too small ( or not enough RAM ) and the HD will always be accessinggoing the the pagefile. If you have at least 512MB of RAM, you could make the pagefile static. ( same size, min & max ) or even move it to another HD if you have more than one.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HD light flashing -- virus?

MBR viruses are now so trivially simple to find and remove, and hard to spread, that nobody writes them any more.

I'm puzzled why you didn't create and use the standard 3 or 4 floppy setup diskettes to install Windows 2000 - using Windows 98 seems like running the risk of problems where none should exist. Or do I misunderstand what you did?

If you've got these diskettes, and boot from them, do you get any hard disk light flashing?

Although there is unlikely to be any connection, have you run SCANDISK/CHKDSK on the hard disk?

PS How many MB is "DFI"?!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...