Thread: svchost.exe

New Lounger
    Thanks

svchost.exe

I am running Windows 2000 and IE version6. Recently when either sending email or connected to the internet, I get a message saying that there is an error in "svchost.exe" and an error log is being created. After this error message, I cannot see the individual files in the root C: directory but can see files in all other directories. Does anyone know what svchost.exe is and what is causing the problem ?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: svchost.exe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

svchost.exe is a very general process in Windows 2000 - see <!mskb=250320>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 250320<!/mskb> for a description. There can be many causes for the error - see here if there is something that applies to your situation.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. It turns out that the error message was part of the problem caused by the latest virus w32.blaster. My computer was infected and when the worm was removed and the W2000 patch applied, the error message disappeared.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. It turns out that the error message was part of the problem caused by the latest virus w32.blaster and not one of the causes listed in the Microsoft knowledge base. My computer was infected and when the worm was removed and the W2000 patch applied, the error message disappeared.